Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mikeprichard

Re: Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Post by mikeprichard »

Map notes will be a great addition! Will there be any limits to how many are saved in a single savegame (i.e. will you be able to potentially have thousands of maps with persistent notes)?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no limit - you could flood the map until you run out of main memory/hard drive space :D

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Ha, I like it!

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Nystul wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:11 pm I am working on the micro map for the dungeon automap:
Amazing! This is maybe what I miss most from classic.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

here are some showcase screenshots of new automap features (part of latest pull request):

add user note markers by left mouse double click on a dungeon segment

here you can see how a user marker will reveal the attached note on mouse hover over:

CTRL + left mouse double click on a dungeon segment will just add the marker without opening the note dialog (to create several markers fastly that do not need a note text - e.g. to mark a path with several markers)

left mouse double click on an existing user marker will allow to edit the note text

right mouse double click on a user marker will delete it.

right mouse double click on a dungeon segment will set rotation pivot axis to this position, see this screenshot:

the screenshot also shows that beacons now have a mouse hover over text.

Furthermore there is now the micro map on the left side of the screen known from classic daggerfall ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yep, this is something we definitely needed since 1996. Awesome work Nystul :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

btw, I would need a dungeon where a teleporter is near to the entrance for testing - I plan to do portal markers on the map (visible after teleporting for the first time) but I need a good dungeon to test. Ideally I would need a dungeon with more than just 1 teleporter ;)
do you guys know such dungeon?

update: I have found a good dungeon to test (Ruins of Wickston Manor)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

another feature to be added: portal markers will show teleporter entrances and exits on map once pc discovered it, double click on one portal will jump (move the automap camera) to the other end of the connection (via iTween moveTo animation)

is one of the creative guys here interested in doing a graphically more pleasant portal model (ideally two - one for teleporter entrance portal and one for exit portal)? I am looking for some model like this but in df style:

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nystul wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 pm another feature to be added: portal markers will show teleporter entrances and exits on map once pc discovered it, double click on one portal will jump (move the automap camera) to the other end of the connection (via iTween moveTo animation)
I don't like the idea of changing the camera. The whole point of doing this is to get a clear spatial connection between start and finish. If the other end of the portal is so far away that you lose track of the portal you were just on, then you don't get that spatial understanding because you've lost your starting point. It would be better to draw a line between the two on hover, with an arrow at the end indicating the directionality of the portals (which are a one-way street IIRC).

Also, clicking needs to be reserved for map manipulation, and double clicking is too obscure. It has to be a hover so that it can't be missed as a function.

Your original generic shapes are fine. Not only are they easier to see than a detailed model, they clearly indicate that they are a map tool and not an actual object in the room.
portals.gif
portals.gif (224.95 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:09 pm
Nystul wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 pm another feature to be added: portal markers will show teleporter entrances and exits on map once pc discovered it, double click on one portal will jump (move the automap camera) to the other end of the connection (via iTween moveTo animation)
I don't like the idea of changing the camera. The whole point of doing this is to get a clear spatial connection between start and finish. If the other end of the portal is so far away that you lose track of the portal you were just on, then you don't get that spatial understanding because you've lost your starting point. It would be better to draw a line between the two on hover, with an arrow at the end indicating the directionality of the portals (which are a one-way street IIRC).

Also, clicking needs to be reserved for map manipulation, and double clicking is too obscure. It has to be a hover so that it can't be missed as a function.

Your original generic shapes are fine. Not only are they easier to see than a detailed model, they clearly indicate that they are a map tool and not an actual object in the room.

portals.gif.
I like the hover over idea with the line/arrow - will try it out.
nevertheless double clicking the portal resulting in the camera moving (by animation) to the other portal endpoint works perfect imo. And what you expect about losing track does not happen cause of the smooth animation - in contrast it really provides good feedback even if the other portal endpoint is way offscreen (at least try it out please ;)) - the arrow would fail in this case

thanks for your valuable input ;)