Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
BansheeXYZ

Re: Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Or, instead of personal attacks, try arguing with logic and examples. Most people would point to other games as an example of an idea working, because we're not exactly pioneering the western RPG here. Are there 1gp gold drop hotkeys in other games or is it a map problem? Unopened doors are visible, but the absence of a wall is literally how classic "marks" an unexplored path. So when walls disappear entirely in topdown, or half-disappear in angled, it makes it way too hard to see where you need to go next. So, you could more clearly mark these spots on the map. Or drastically resort to ignoring the map and laying down and picking up breadcumbs like Hansel and Gretel.

Let's just try the new note system as a way of making markers and see if it's good enough. This will be in the next builds. The problem is that they have to be manually added AND removed, so I can already see this failing because you're not going to remember to remove the markers every time you pass them. Auto-markers don't have that problem.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Nystul, will the markers get erased when you exit the dungeon?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:22 am Nystul, will the markers get erased when you exit the dungeon?
they will be saved with automap data, so if ini-setting AutomapNumberOfDungeons = 5 (default), the last 5 dungeons visited (with markers) will be remembered, set this to 0 to get vanilla df behavior that as soon as you leave the dungeon everything is forgotten ;)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:31 pm

I don't see why the ini is even an option yet. You've got F1 thru F12 for toggles. F9 can toggle transparency, F10 can toggle layer shading, F11 can toggle walls, F12 can toggle textures.

The map zoom and rotation features are pretty powerful, I've rarely ever found myself in a place where I couldn't zoom and rotate out of total occlusion. But if you're hellbent on it, the next thing to try is giving each layer its own hotkey F1-F8. Then you could control what layers get ghosted above and below you, not just above you.
This is quite similar to the idea I had. Right now layers above you get ghosted to a blue highlight and this works well enough. I was hoping that in addition you could ghost the levels below you in a similar fashion. Perhaps to a different color. Then you could increase visibility on areas above or below you depending on which way you wanted to go. You could use a third color for unexplored areas. Blinking areas seems a bit much.

I'd really like to see it possible for 3rd parties to be able to create controls for the map. Personally I would like a slide out 'controls menu' that gave you the ability to choose view modes transparency overlay colors etc. through sliders and selectors. The sliders could control how fast the levels below and/or above you faded to transparency
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

lots of teleporters in this dungeon block... (mouse hover over on portals will reveal connection)

pango

Post by pango »

Do you think some ambient occlusion could help map readability? A bit like drop shadows on modern windowing desktops...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I noticed one of the features missing from classic was the ability to click on a layer above you and make it blink.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

Some small glitch that I noticed while looking at a stream:
If you open the automap while under water, the player and entrance markers become water-colored.
blue lightbeams.jpg
blue lightbeams.jpg (239.21 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
This also affects map notes, and I can't tell for teleporters...
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I created a PR for this bug
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I submitted a PR to add water to the automap, reviews welcome
water3.jpg
water3.jpg (305.81 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
-- Charles Goodhart