Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Automap (indoor & dungeon) implementation

Post by Jay_H »

No problem. I'm using the latest Linux build, #23. I could e-mail you the save file or post screenshots of the map... Not sure what I could report that could help.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Nystul, I just had to revert PR127. I noticed you're using UnityEditor namespace in MirrorReflection.cs, which is breaking my builds. :)

Could I please get you to revisit without using the UnityEngine namespace. It can only be used in editor, never in builds.

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Hey, found an issue with the map and have a suggestion for a feature. The tooltips are gonna need some more line breaks or word wrap, every tooltip for me runs off the screen except the ones for the stair icons. I'd post a screenshot but I can't get the file to fit the forum's size requirements and I've never used an image-sharing site before. What I would like though is for an option for the map to remember what I last set the slice level to. I haven't used the map much, but when I do I find I always have to raise the slice level, and would prefer it if there was some way to just keep it maxed, ideally like this. The darkening of areas further from the slice level is somewhat bothersome if you want to see the whole dungeon, but I'm willing to put up with it.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:Hey Nystul, I just had to revert PR127. I noticed you're using UnityEditor namespace in MirrorReflection.cs, which is breaking my builds. :)

Could I please get you to revisit without using the UnityEngine namespace. It can only be used in editor, never in builds.
how can one get the playersettings then? I need the rendering path of the user/player to determine if global fog script needs to be attached to reflection camera
camera.renderingpath will give me usersettings instead of deferred. so I need a way to see which path is used differently

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Quickest solution is for me to set main camera as deferred. Then you can read as needed at runtime. Edit: I've pushed this change up now.

We just can't use UnityEditor namespace as it isn't exported to builds. Rule of thumb is only use UnityEditor namespace in editor scripts, and wrap in #if UNITY_EDITOR #endif to conditionally isolate from build process.

I apologise for the inconvenience post reversion.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no problem! just wanted to give the feedback because it gave me some headaches. but I know I did this often the other way around too so no worries!
I learned the lesson about UnityEditor now. Will be more careful! ;)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Jay_H wrote:I'm having a problem in that the green dungeon column, the one that shows the exit to the dungeon, isn't appearing after I load a certain save game. Is this a known bug?
this bug should be fixed soon. pull request issued already

note: will work only after discovering the entrance again and saving afterwards. old saves won't automatically show the entrance. so make sure to rediscover and save and then test if it is fixed for you as well

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

ifkopifko wrote:Sorry for the interruption, but... haven't you considered using a different (hi-res) text font? I am all for preserving the original DF spirit, but this does not seem like a good thing to me.
Hey mate. I've been thinking about this and decided to experiment with a higher quality pixel font for just tooltips, as they're effectively separate from the the vanilla UI anyway. The below is still a pixel font, but has 4x pixel density of the current tooltips. It makes things a bit more readable and still keeps the classic look and feel. Would this be a decent compromise if I made an option in the INI?
hqtooltip.jpg
hqtooltip.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
And the standard tooltip for comparison.

lqtooltip.jpg
lqtooltip.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 3581 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Would be nice to have this as an optional setting. I would even go so far to make a poll to decide if it should become the default font.
What would have to be done on my side to support it for the automap tooltips?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I need to do a bit more development, it's pretty rough at the moment. But should be a simple change to use.

Main problem is that new font is rendered at native res, so it doesn't benefit from consistent scaling. Will need some kind of UI scale for users to set to their preference.

Leave it with me, will see what I can do. :)

Edit: This is how the HQ tips look on your map interface vs LQ tips.
automap-hqtooltips.jpg
automap-hqtooltips.jpg (215.92 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
automap-lqtooltips.jpg
automap-lqtooltips.jpg (216.86 KiB) Viewed 3563 times