DFU vs Classic Differences: Master List

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Re: DFU vs Classic Differences: Master List

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:35 pm WHat? Surely these should be reported in bug forum if they need fixing? Pretty sure all the bookshelves work in DFU and the restrictions for ranks as well. Is this another thing I have missed? :(
That's bugfixes, you're reading those the wrong way around
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Oh so they didn't work properly in classic. Right. Yeah. Whoops. :oops:

As I said on another thread, finding it hard to focus at the moment. :/
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Added bugs in classic:

Code: Select all

-The color of town and home dots on the region map are swapped, not matching their corresponding button colors.
-Spell effects don't expire after the hour-long passage of time that occurs from stamina exhaustion.
-If you exhaust your stamina with an attack rather than movement, it will always result in death.
-Loans from banks do not default past their due date.
-The spell effect "Create Item" does not destroy the item after duration expires, nor does it prevent the item from being dropped or sold.

pango

Post by pango »

DFU adds the possibily to change loot icons: https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/ ... 5927442434
That's a bit obscure, and I just learned about it :)
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

That's a pretty cool added feature I think though. You are right that it should probably be added to DFU documentation for players along with a lot of other stuff so people who havn't spent the past few years hanging around here will know about the features. :D

To add to the list, the datafiles contain NPCs marked as spymasters and DFU treats them as normal NPCs whereas classic doesn't.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:05 pm That's a pretty cool added feature I think though. You are right that it should probably be added to DFU documentation for players along with a lot of other stuff so people who havn't spent the past few years hanging around here will know about the features. :D

To add to the list, the datafiles contain NPCs marked as spymasters and DFU treats them as normal NPCs whereas classic doesn't.
What happens to them in classic? How many are there? What is the nature of the mistake, just an error or the beginning of an unfinished feature?

Also, can I get confirmation that the following bugs affect classic:

-quests can use the houses that are used for underground guilds like the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood.
-reporting quest completion to the questgiver while in lycanthrope form crashes the game.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sorry I was not clear, in classic they pop up the guild menu like you're in a Thieves guild. No idea how many there are.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Added classic bugs

Code: Select all

-Pursuant monsters in the wilderness will disappear once they cross the threshold of a new zone.
-Quests can use the houses that are used for underground guilds like the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood.
-If the player receives a quest item or reward while in lycanthrope form, the game will crash.
-Some static NPCs are mistakenly given the spymaster status and will trigger a Thieve's Guild window instead of a dialog window.
-Lots of erroneously stretched textures.
I did also add the loot pile appearance thing, but just keep in mind that, like undocumented hotkeys, this is another invisible feature with no arrows or buttons or anything to indicate you can do this.

pango

Post by pango »

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't read anything about the changes concerning immunities and magic element compared to classic; I think this is a big one, given that many people seem to try to use the "high elf + critical weakness to magic" or "critical weakness to poison etc. + immunity to magic" exploits in DFU.
Interkarma explained this in different threads here, but I think his answer on Reddit is the most clear and comprehensive explanation I've seen to date: https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... _to_magic/
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

pango wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:23 pm Maybe I missed something, but I didn't read anything about the changes concerning immunities and magic element compared to classic; I think this is a big one, given that many people seem to try to use the "high elf + critical weakness to magic" or "critical weakness to poison etc. + immunity to magic" exploits in DFU.
Interkarma explained this in different threads here, but I think his answer on Reddit is the most clear and comprehensive explanation I've seen to date: https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... _to_magic/
I don't fully understand the fixes to resistances, so I can't describe them. I get that classic mistakenly assigned "poison" and "disease" to the wrong element. But if I make a character immune to poison, is he immune to poison? I'm just confused by the spell vs blade talk because the resistance screen just bluntly states poison.

The race vs class thing is similar. As far as I know, races come with (dis)advantages and classes can add (dis)advantages ontop of that. So if a race comes with immunity to paralysis, why am I allowed to select immunity to paralysis again? I'd expect it show up when I open the advantage window, thus telling me that I can't duplicate it or contradict it. Instead, there's an elaborate semi-negation thing going on explained in a reddit post no one will see. Won't this just confuse new players and bait veterans into building with exploits that no longer work? I have no idea how to describe what's been done here or if it's just a placeholder fix.