DFU vs Classic Differences: Master List

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
BansheeXYZ

Re: DFU vs Classic Differences: Master List

Post by BansheeXYZ »

pango wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:55 am- Region Map Screen : when zoomed in, Left Shift + mouse movement to scroll the map around
Do you know why this uses a shift-modifier, or why it's on zoom only? I'm hesitant to add things that people don't know are there, and thus won't use.
jayhova wrote:Fewer
I actually got my degree in English. I'll say that while it's technically still wrong, language evolves and it's becoming commonplace to use less in place of fewer. People are rightfully annoyed that "more" works on everything, but "less" doesn't.

pango

Post by pango »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 am
pango wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:55 am- Region Map Screen : when zoomed in, Left Shift + mouse movement to scroll the map around
Do you know why this uses a shift-modifier, or why it's on zoom only?
I know nothing of its genesis, again I didn't even know it was there until I stumbled upon it in the code.
It could certainly be improved, like most features. The way one can scroll around large regions is still clunky and unintuitive.
BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 am I'm hesitant to add things that people don't know are there, and thus won't use.
I think that on the contrary it's important to make a list of things that are specific to Daggerfall Unity so they're documented somewhere. For the rest one can rely on classic Daggerfall documentation, forums, etc.
It all depends on the goals (and audience) of this list; from what I can tell that was never clearly stated.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 am I actually got my degree in English. I'll say that while it's technically still wrong, language evolves and it's becoming commonplace to use less in place of fewer. People are rightfully annoyed that "more" works on everything, but "less" doesn't.
Well you wouldn't say the less, the proud, the Marines.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

pango wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:48 am I think that on the contrary it's important to make a list of things that are specific to Daggerfall Unity so they're documented somewhere. For the rest one can rely on classic Daggerfall documentation, forums, etc.
This would be the true value of a "master" list of differences, rather than a "selective" list, as I mentioned a few months back in this topic. Either way, post-1.0, a complete list of every difference between DFU and base Daggerfall (without subjective omissions) would be extremely useful. Of course, I really appreciate the work that's gone into this so far.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

jayhova wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:07 amWell you wouldn't say the less, the proud, the Marines.
That's the noun form of few. People are using less the adjective in place of fewer the adjective.

Here's a tidbit on this from dictionary.com
Usage note

Even though less has been used before plural nouns ( less words; less men ) since the time of King Alfred, many modern usage guides say that only fewer can be used in such contexts. Less, they say, should modify singular mass nouns ( less sugar; less money ) and singular abstract nouns ( less honesty; less love ). It should modify plural nouns only when they suggest combination into a unit, group, or aggregation: less than $50 (a sum of money); less than three miles (a unit of distance). With plural nouns specifying individuals or readily distinguishable units, the guides say that fewer is the only proper choice: fewer words; fewer men; no fewer than 31 of the 50 states.
Modern standard English practice does not reflect this distinction. When followed by than, less occurs at least as often as fewer in modifying plural nouns that are not units or groups, and the use of less in this construction is increasing in all varieties of English: less than eight million people; no less than 31 of the 50 states. When not followed by than, fewer is more frequent only in formal written English, and in this construction also the use of less is increasing: This year we have had less crimes, less accidents, and less fires than in any of the last five years.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:48 am
Here's a tidbit on this from dictionary.com
Well I suppose the less said the better.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Added

Bugfixes

Code: Select all

-Exiting certain dungeons will cause your movement become diagonal until you toggle the cursor. (Example: The Citadel of Hawking)
-Any damage received after committing a crime triggers the surrender prompt, even if that damage didn't come from guards.
-Surrendering to guards after committing assault results in a murder charge.
-When trying to recast a spell via hotkey with no spellbook, a message saying you have no spellbook appears. When trying to cast via hotkey, it doesn't.
-If you move repairable items onto an anvil that has items being repaired on it, then exit the window without repairing them, the items stay on the anvil.
-Range spells have poor collision and can pass straight through enemies.
-Falling into the water from a great height damages you like you're hitting the ground.
-When you attempt sleeping in an inn for 100+ hours, you trigger the 99 hour limit message, but then you appear in a bedroom as though you slept.
-Being in a shop during its closed hours makes the shelves lootable and you can simply loiter or teleport there regardless of thieving ability.**
Interface

-Feedback: display message when you enter water with too much weight to stay buoyant. [LESS CONFUSING]
-Feedback: display failure message for "recast" hotkey after deleting last-used spell.** [LESS CONFUSING]
-Feedback: display failure message for "use magic item" hotkey when you have no usable magic items. [LESS CONFUSING]
-Spellbook Screen: spellbook can still be opened when empty. [LESS CONFUSING]
-Spellbook Screen: clicking delete prompts "are you sure?"

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Added

Bugfixes

-Bookshelves in libraries, temples, and guilds are frequently empty of books.
-Bookshelves in temples and guilds are rank ristricted, but are immediately accessible to starting ranks.
Last edited by BansheeXYZ on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

-Feedback: display message when you enter water with too much weight to stay buoyant. [LESS CONFUSING]
By the way, the message we use is actually from official Daggerfall in a way. It exists in the early demo (the one that takes place in a dungeon, not the Betony one).

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:36 am Added

Bugfixes

-Bookshelves in libraries, temples, and guilds are frequently empty of books.
-Bookshelves in temples and guilds are rank ristricted, but are immediately accessible to starting ranks.
WHat? Surely these should be reported in bug forum if they need fixing? Pretty sure all the bookshelves work in DFU and the restrictions for ranks as well. Is this another thing I have missed? :(
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods