Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Orbarth

Re: Experimental Smaller Dungeons

Post by Orbarth »

I've been running a character with smaller dungeons enabled in the ini and so far of the half a hundred quests i ran with that setting , i always found the quest target (with of course more or less difficulty depending on where the game spawned it).

To me it seems ready to get out of experimental and become a real option in the option menus.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I'll move this out of experimental sometime during alpha cycle.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I feel like, if it's going to be an option in DFU configuration, it sort of merits a pop-up window once it's clicked: "WARNING! By enabling this option, you agree that you currently have no characters within a dungeon. Proceed?"

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, definitely need to handle that. I'm thinking of ways to do this automatically however so it just works as expected without player needing to worry about being inside a dungeon or if a quest was compiled differently to smaller dungeon setting. I have a few ideas on how to do this neatly.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

I haven't noticed any bugs with this enabled, but a freaky coincidence I had when I first enabled it was I just happened to visit 3 dungeons in a row that all used the Privateer's Hold layout and I thought it was this that caused this "bug". Turned out it wasn't a bug as it was in vanilla DF! :ugeek:

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

Azargoth Web in Daggerfall is impossible to finish because one of the rooms is blocked by a cage that can be only opened by the other side.

Once you teleport into that room via console you can use a pedestal to move the cage out of the way.

I can provide a save game, if needed.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums.

I just entered the dungeon and moved the cage. There's a torch right before the door. Touch it and it'll remove the cage.

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

Oh thanks! Sorry for the false positive!

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Divines, how I hate normal Daggerfall random dungeons...

Please, for the love of Julianos, can this be added as a checkbox under Enhancements? I've been fighting through ant mounds for a couple of months 'coz I didn't know this was here. I've devolved to stepping in the door and almost immediately tele2qmarker and tele2exit just to save the hours upon hours it would take to play straight -- and that makes me feel dirty.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

*** sigh ***

So, after getting incredibly excited, I picked up a Mage Guild quest from Midmoth in Daelia(?) (kill a rogue wizard or some such) which sent me to the laboratory at "Tower of Yeomhouse". After exploring for a little while, I started spinning the map, looking for hidden doors or open hallways and didn't see any, so I tried tele2qmarker...

And briefly saw a dead body before falling into the void, with the entirety of the dungeon approximately 3 dungeon diameters in the distance...

This could be a problem with Persistent Dungeons, I suppose. To test, just now I disabled it and wandered into and out of the dungeon a few times. The normal enemies are respawning, so I'd guess that the dungeon is refilling, but I don't know specifically when the main quest opponent gets placed. tele2qmarker still sends me to the void.

The only other thing I can think of is that "Tower of Yeomhouse" sounds very, very familiar, and I think this is the second time in rapid succession that I ran this quest. So, something like the following may have happened:
  • Persistent Dungeons enabled. SmallerDungeons=False
  • Get Mage Guild quest to Tower of Yeomhouse. Complete it. Go back to Midmoth.
  • Set SmallerDungeons=True
  • Get Mage Guild quest to Tower of Yeomhouse. Try to complete, fall into void.
I'm _pretty_ sure that I enabled SmallerDungeons BEFORE picking up the second instance of the quest, but it's Monday morning and it's possible that I took the quest while SmallerDungeons was disabled, then enabled it before going there.

I had hoped that disabled Peristent Dungeons would let whatever flush itself out of memory, but no luck.

I can provide a save if it helps. Dunno if it's something specific to this dungeon seed or quest seed or just something borked in my save.