Will Daggerfall Unity be optimized for very low-end machines?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Sabudum

Re: Will Daggerfall Unity be optimized for very low-end machines?

Post by Sabudum »

Thanks for all your answers, that guide on retro mode is quite cool, i'm gonna try that, i wanted to play daggerfall unity because i plan on making some mods like hunting and a needs system, so dosbox is kinda out of the question, but i still play the old game anyways.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Sabudum wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:17 am Thanks for all your answers, that guide on retro mode is quite cool, i'm gonna try that, i wanted to play daggerfall unity because i plan on making some mods like hunting and a needs system, so dosbox is kinda out of the question, but i still play the old game anyways.
...Well, there's another two mods I'll be installing. :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Going back to the original question, I tried the latest build of DFU on my oldest lowest spec computer (dual core celeron 3GHz + 750Ti) and it ran just fine. I suspect the issue is your graphics card, I found this from a review of the 9500GT dated 2009 - a decade ago.
The 9500 GT is basically the cut-off point for true gaming cards. Just £9 above it you'll find the HD 4650, capable of playable frame rates in the demanding Crysis at medium settings; the 9500 GT can't manage this, so from this card down you're looking solely at the media end of the market.
Even when released it was not a gaming card, so I suspect it's worse than the integrated graphics in modern cpu's for performance. If I'd known you could have had the 8800GTX I literally binned a few weeks ago which is same era but a much better card. I expect you could upgrade with an old second hand card quite cheaply if the setting suggestions aren't sufficient for playable FPS.

I also compared 0.7.32 with a build including the parallel terrain generation that I've been working on. Doing a stress test running at 1500 runspeed and 0.7.32 varies between 20-40fps wheras the new code runs about 50+ with the occasional slowdown into the 20's when a location loads. Pretty happy with that and pleased that the parallelisation is valid on a dual core cpu. It eventually gets too far behind and you end up falling off the world but still happy that I've not just optimised for 4+ core machines.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods