Can I switch temples?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
johnwax

Can I switch temples?

Post by johnwax »

I made the mistake of joining Kyreneth which does not have potion sales or making. You can only be a member of one temple - so, is there a way via the console or text editing a save that I can leave that temple and join another? Thanks for any help.

pango

Re: Can I switch temples?

Post by pango »

I think you have to manage to get expelled from the first one :evil:
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'm not actually sure if even that would work.You might be locked it, will have to check the code to know. Could edit the save JSON and remove Kynareth from guildMemberships.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I think it would be a good thing to add this as an option in Daggerfall Unity (maybe even for guilds too, but they are less of a problem then temples). It never occurred to me, but it's weird that you can join factions but not leave them.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

LypyL wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:43 amI think it would be a good thing to add this as an option in Daggerfall Unity (maybe even for guilds too, but they are less of a problem then temples). It never occurred to me, but it's weird that you can join factions but not leave them.
It's problematic, because the "Join Guild" window is graphical and the solution needs to not change graphics. IMO it would be rather non-sensical to make "join" bring up a leave prompt if you're a member.

Also, you're right that it's more of a temple issue since they are conflicting memberships. The best solution I think would be to have "Join" be clickable at opposing temples. This would bring up a window like such:
Yes, you are worthy to join the Order. But you must first disassociate yourself with The Temple of Kynareth. Will you forfeit all rank and status with them to become a child of Arkay?

[YES][NO]

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Oh I know how the UI works. I was thinking of making replacement images to show "leave" buttons for players who are members of guilds. But that might be better suited for mods rather than core changes.
The best solution I think would be to have "Join" be clickable at opposing temples
That's a great idea IMO.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I can't see the same thing for a knightly order, though. "Leave knightly order" means "In dishonour and disgrace", I think. :)

...Although there could be a quest where you discover that $Person who knighted you was dishonerable, and one optional ending could be an honourable parting with your knightly order, where you leave to reconsider things. Depending, you would retain some faction influence. You could then (possibly) either rejoin the same knightly order, or a different one.

...That still involves dishonour and disgrace. :P Just not necessarily yours...

...Although if you really messed up in the quest, that could lead into a series of "clear your name" quests. But that would be extra stuff.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Leaving guilds option is quite a departure from classic so I think that's mod territory. I will check the code I wrote and see if you could switch temples or whether you're locked in once you have a temple instance set for a specific temple.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 amLeaving guilds option is quite a departure from classic so I think that's mod territory.
ehhh, it's borderline. You can expel yourself by taking on quests and fast traveling around past their due date. It takes 2 to 10 minutes depending on your rank. Which means that all you'd be doing is making it easier.
I will check the code I wrote and see if you could switch temples or whether you're locked in once you have a temple instance set for a specific temple.
I did some testing and Kynareth expelled me in classic, but in DFU I was demoted to non-member. I'm a bit puzzled by this. Are there guilds that actually do this or is this a DFU invention?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hmm, I may have been relying on UESP and intuition. Can you document the behaviour and post some classic saves so I can confirn please? That would be a great help. I was unable to actually get expelled from a guild in classic, but there was so much work to do to get guilds implemented this was not my focus at the time. Also, can you be clear about what you mean by demoted to non-member? i.e. what the difference is from expulsion.