Some suggestions for quest actions

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Kamer

Some suggestions for quest actions

Post by Kamer »

I'll keep it short. Someone of these are related to questions I had on another topic but I'll put them here just to have it in a more appropriate spot. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place either so feel free to move the topic if needed.

1: Stat Check Quest action
-We currently have skill checks, however some stats are more appropriate for a check in certain instances rather than skills.

Example: when stat statName is at least minSkillValue

2: Legal reputation check

-I know legal rep is still early I believe, though I might be wrong on that, but I'd like to see this option eventually added in.

Example: when legal repute exceeds nn

3: Randomly selected sprite sheet

-This might be more appropriate for a mod rather than feature as I don't have any know how sprites in the texture files work. This might not even be possible depending on how it's set up is. Basically if there are multiple files of a sprites, unity will choose a random sheet of the object or mob to use.

Example: Say you have the textures of the archer.

482_0-0 would be the original sheet.

If you would like to have different looking types say you have 2 other sheets named:

482_0-0A
482_0-0B

The game would randomly select the original or the two other sheet types with some symbol letting the game know. Would that be possible?

Hazelnut

Re: Some suggestions for quest actions

Post by Hazelnut »

Assuming you still desire these, I might take a look. Not sure about 3, but the other two seem easy enough.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: Some suggestions for quest actions

Post by Interkarma »

Kamer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:45 am -We currently have skill checks, however some stats are more appropriate for a check in certain instances rather than skills.
Stat check went in a while back. I posted this information here in your other thread. :)

Kamer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:45 am -I know legal rep is still early I believe, though I might be wrong on that, but I'd like to see this option eventually added in.
Legal rep is done in game. A quest trigger to check this would be fairly easy. It's mostly a copy-paste of WhenReputeWith, except searching region names instead of NPC names.

Kamer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:45 am -This might be more appropriate for a mod rather than feature as I don't have any know how sprites in the texture files work. This might not even be possible depending on how it's set up is. Basically if there are multiple files of a sprites, unity will choose a random sheet of the object or mob to use.
This one sounds a little complicated for quest system to make decisions about and interact cleanly with mod system. I'd be inclined to leave this strictly in mod territory. Mod authors can register their own custom quest actions as part of a .dfmod that could potentially do this, rather than making it a part of core.

BTW, it's feasible to create mods that include custom art, custom quests with custom actions, even custom magic effects and racial overrides. Someone that knows how to build for these systems could make a totally unique mod with some fun spectacle. Check out my Vanity Clone spell easter egg as an example. That whole event is delivered by a combination of effect system and quest system working together.