Infighting between mobs : I love it!

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Cliffworms

Infighting between mobs : I love it!

Post by Cliffworms »

I was traveling between two locations yesterday thanks to Tedious Travel and was ambushed in the wilds by a Rogue who hit me pretty bad. Being a low level Healer, I ran away just far enough to sleep, but not far enough for the Rogue to dissapear. Then came a Thief, waking me up from my sleep.

I mistakenly ran towards the Rogue with the Thief on my heels. Strangely, I notice that the Rogue starts running to his left. I turn and see a Sabretooth Tiger. The thief then stops pursuing me and jumps on the animal as well. Seeing my opportunity to flee for my life, I left them both with the tiger.

Infighting between mobs really bring a lot of depth to the AI. Thank you for this feature! :)

Unfortunately, the tiger died. Its sacrifice allowed me to live another day. I will not forget this encounter.

King of Worms

Re: Infighting between mobs : I love it!

Post by King of Worms »

Awesome, nonscripted events like this are so great in games, well played :)
And yea, this change is huge and it works surprisingly well... I was very doubtful such a feature could work well in DFU but it indeed does. Its one of the things which brings the game to another level 10/10

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I was going to suggest that beasts that spawn together might be allied. e.g. There are tigers in Orsinium. I can only assume they are there as pets of the orcs. Outdoors it's anything goes. Perhaps it's possible to make critters in immediate vicinity of each other non-hostile toward one another.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

jayhova wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 am I was going to suggest that beasts that spawn together might be allied. e.g. There are tigers in Orsinium. I can only assume they are there as pets of the orcs. Outdoors it's anything goes. Perhaps it's possible to make critters in immediate vicinity of each other non-hostile toward one another.
It would be interesting. For example giants could have trained bears inside their lairs. I ran a dungeon crawl inside a fortress filled with only giants and bears. Being too weak to fight both, I had to resort to bring bears toward the giants and run away.

Regarding allied mobs, I don't know if it's integrated, but Spriggans could be allied with any wild animal. Being nature's guardians according to the rumors in Oblivion. Maybe even make animals in the vicinity of a Spriggan not attack each other, which would make that monster even more dangerous.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I find it tends to break verisimilitude when creatures have been underground together for an extended period of time and then decide to become hostile toward one another. It's perfectly reasonable that a skeleton that is following you might attack another intelligent living being but it is not likely to go after a spider nor is the spider likely to think the skeleton is food. A juicery blood-filled Khajiit of the other hand..

Optimally there should be a table of what will go after what. Vermin will go after anything living that could be food etc. Undead dislike all living things but will generally ignore non intelligent ones and definitely will favor fighting intelligent ones over non.

Additionally wild creatures spawned outside of their natural environment (tigers underground, etc.) should be considered guardians or pets.

Just my $.02
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.