Let's Play of Daggerfall Unity!

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
TheDrunkenMudcrab

Let's Play of Daggerfall Unity!

Post by TheDrunkenMudcrab »

Hey guys, I have a pretty wild Let's Play. It's called Blim-Dim, and it's the misadventures of an argonian through the Elder Scrolls series (thematically tied through each game with lore reasons given as to why the same character is the Nerevarine, the Hero of Kvatch, et cetera).

Currently, the character is in a time-travel plotline in which he has been sent to the years of TES II: Daggerfall. In this playthrough, I am using Daggerfall Unity.

https://youtu.be/12a5Cqw5Tg0 - The episode in question. More will come out - I've already recorded the entire Daggerfall Unity series from start to finish. I encountered very few bugs in this playthrough, too.

My review: Daggerfall Unity is great. Almost too great. Playing regular Daggerfall again will be an absolute pain because of how good this port of the game is. It's absolutely terrific, and great for streaming and recording.

Great work, guys. This project is freakin' awesome.

pango

Re: Let's Play of Daggerfall Unity!

Post by pango »

Nice!
At least the Unity wraiths don't seem to have the creepy endless moans of "Vengeance!!" that I remember from the original.
That's my fault, it should be fixed soon :D
Immunity To Magic
Critical Weakness To Paralysis
Critical Weakness To Poison
Critical Weakness To Fire
Critical Weakness To Frost
Critical Weakness To Disease
Increase Magery 3X INT In Spell Points
Spell Absorption General
Regenerate Health General
I assume that by now you found out that Daggerfall Unity behaves differently from classic when it comes to the "Immunity To Magic + Critical Weakness To Poison/Disease/Paralysis" exploit.
Also, with those advantages and disadvantages, your difficulty of leveling up is way lower than what should have been allowed, that's why your skills go up so fast. In classic the difficulty dagger must be between x0.3 and x3.0 to continue character creation, that should be fixed in next Daggerfall Unity build.

Anyway, that's an interesting build :)

PS Seams in the ground are not on purpose; they seem to happen with some video drivers
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

The reason why you failed that first mages quest is, as you suspected at the end of the stream, that you didn't pick the right item: you found a daedra heart, not the quest daedra heart :(
Quest items all have a green background in the inventory, that's how you recognize them.
-- Charles Goodhart

TheDrunkenMudcrab

Post by TheDrunkenMudcrab »

I understand! Thanks for the feedback. :) It's been awhile since I've touched this game, Unity or No.

pango

Post by pango »

Yes, they're discussions about how some documentation could be better delivered ingame to new and long returning players alike...
-- Charles Goodhart

Werchu

Post by Werchu »

I never played dagerfall in the past and recently I was really drawn to it for some reason. Now since you have completed the entire game do you think it's viable for me to play it for the first time with the current build. Using Dagerfall Unity is what I mean ofc.
I could wait but then I really want to play now. And I could play the original but then from what I've seen this version sees some major improvements. But if there are certain systems still missing won't I make it worse for myself since this is the first time I will be experiencing this game?
I think you understand my worries here - I'm just looking for some... validation I guess.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've been playing it for over a year and a half, since the main quest was completed :) Spell detection is a little glitchy right now, there's no item enchanter, you can't become a werewolf, and not everything is balanced. Other than that, this is Daggerfall for the new century.

Werchu

Post by Werchu »

Thanks for that - started playing about 3 hours ago and completed my first two quests (one for fighters and one for mages guild). I'm playing a custom class with Destruction/Restoration/Long Blade and Critical Strike/Dodge/Mysticism for my primary and major respectively. It feels a lot better than I thought to be honest. I wanted to just play an hour and leave it at that for today and before I knew it - 3 hours passed.
I did check out the base game (from daggerfallsetup) and I have to say I don't know if I could manage to play it like that - that control is just too clunky for me. Just moving around and swinging your blade felt like I was being waterboarded. I'm sure that I would get used to it eventually but I don't really have to. I didn't have a choice with Wizardry 6 - I had no alternative but to clench my butt and do it but here I have a wonderful alterantive. I was never a fan of Unity but I have to admit it does well here. I mean when I left the starter dungeon - what a huge difference. Just the elevation of terrain itself makes it look so much different. I'm gonna have to travel around randomly some more without the use of fast travel. Managed it in Skyrim - I can manage here (well no I can't, the world is too huge but I'm gonna live in my bubble for a little longer).

pango

Post by pango »

Not trying to diminish the benefits of Daggerfall Unity too much, but in 5 minutes you can switch classic Daggerfall controls to mouse view and WASD movements and it's already much easier to handle; It's just that default controls, that try to mimic Arena controls, that itself is inspired by Ultima Underworld controls, are very dated...
(by the way, that's a thread hijack!)
-- Charles Goodhart

Werchu

Post by Werchu »

Oh right - sorry about that. I did watch the episode from op's post tho' so I hope I at least won't be executed :(

guess I got too used to gamefaqs where only about 20% of posts are about the thread's topic.