Let's Make A New Demo!

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mingorau

Re: Let's Make A New Demo!

Post by mingorau »

Even without considering modding purposes, (which is probably one of the huge reasons why people want to play a Daggerfall remake), learning how Unity5 can access (read and write) local files would be a must. Instead of downloading a huge 100MB demo we could simply point out to a Daggerfall installation and tell the demo to read the files from there. This is also where a simple modding solution could be useful since you are already adding your own files (skybox images and airplane models).

Unity5 may have license issues about releasing an installable game or you may need to add a certificate to the web plugin to get permission to read local files. I don't know about the first but the second part is usually a simple process of creating your own certificate the user will have to accept before the demo can run.

Perhaps the best solution for delivering the demo would be to make a git repository for the demo containing the executable and the assets added to the game. For example, if your Daggerfall installation is in C:\Dagger then the demo repository would be in C:\Dagger\Unity5\Demo and the demo executable would be able to find Daggerfall files just by using relative file paths.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

DFTFU can attach to and load content from a local Arena2 path just fine, it has always had that ability. However web builds cannot read from your file system under any circumstances.

The standalone demos with content built-in are an intentional choice on my part, not the result of a limitation or lack of knowledge (I'm not sure where you got that idea). Quite the contrary, standalone builds required substantial work to make possible.

I don't plan to create any releases that read directly from a user's uncontrolled Arena2 folder. That's just a support nightmare waiting to happen. It's probably the number one reason users have trouble running DaggerXL. For my releases, users must be able to just unzip and play without mucking about, and I don't plan on changing this.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I think that Interkarma has the right idea. Modding capabilities are definitely important and I do agree that it's probably one the reasons why people want to play a DaggerFall remake. But what is also equally important is to make the game more accessible. For example, for people who never played the game before and perhaps just wants to try and see what it's all about, without the need to read lengthy tutorials and download various software to make it run. Like me.

Personally, I had NEVER played Daggerfall before I stumbled upon DFTFU. I found a link on a forum to one of the earlier webplayers builds, and I thought, "hey, why not? I have 10 minutes to spare. Let's check it out". And now a few months later I have played a few hours of the game, and have started doing mods for it. And that would have never happened if it wasn't so easy just to try it out the first time I found it. (So thank you Interkarma for introducing me to DaggerFall).

But on future modding capabilities and such for DFTFU, perhaps we should start a new topic on that?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Uncanny_Valley. :)

To answer the modding concern, standalone builds do not detract from modding capability whatsoever. They aren't even related. Modding must be built on top of DFTFU and Unity builds using common file formats, not stuck back in the old DOS files. The only outcome connecting to a user's Arena2 folder will accomplish is to make it harder for that user by complicating their install process, and to make modding nigh-impossible.
Uncanny_Valley wrote:But on future modding capabilities and such for DFTFU, perhaps we should start a new topic on that?
Agreed. :) This topic is about releasing an updated demo so people can play with the great updates you creators have made. Modding is a separate discussion that needs to happen at some point. I have formulated some strategies around this both for short-term and long-term mod potential, but I haven't felt the time is right to discuss this yet. I think it's more in line with the 1.4 update, which will be mostly about improving content pipeline.

mingorau

Post by mingorau »

Uncanny_Valley wrote:But on future modding capabilities and such for DFTFU, perhaps we should start a new topic on that?
You are right of course. I only mentioned it here because another forum member has brought the issue of modability for users that don't have coding skills or time to code the source directly. Moding means just that, making modifications to the game without changing the source or creating a new game.

I understand that adding moding capabalities would make feedback and maintenance much harder, but this is what happens with any moding solution. There are ways to avoid many of these problems. A simple solution is to require the user to create a configuration file that enables mod capabilities and disable mods by default for general users. Anyway it's better to bring this discussion to a new thread like you mentioned.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

IncreasedTerrainDistance v1.2 is available here (including the optional ImprovedWorldTerrain script):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=240 ... 7561644920

here are the other files I have changed in the last weeks - (you will need the changes from StreamingWorld.cs and TerrainHelper.cs for the ImprovedWorldTerrain script to work):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=677 ... 8006571323

changes in the WoodsFile.cs were experiments on my side with the woods.wld file (it supports file export now and stores the noisemap data in a separate buffer now)
changes in the ExplorerMode.cs are small: keypress m shows the distance from water map (used this for debugging), I want to show a world map later instead of it, keypress n exports the woods.wld file (to hardcoded path in WoodsFile.cs in function private bool Write()) which one would have to change to the desired output path of course

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm going to start cobbling together that demo over the weekend. I just wanted to make sure I have the latest versions of everyone's work.

Increased Terrain Distance 1.2
IncreasedTerrainDistance v1.2 is available here (including the optional ImprovedWorldTerrain script):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=240 ... 7561644920

here are the other files I have changed in the last weeks - (you will need the changes from StreamingWorld.cs and TerrainHelper.cs for the ImprovedWorldTerrain script to work):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=677 ... 8006571323
Real Grass 1.01
Enhanced Sky
DaggerJet
I also have an updated FloatingOrigin script kindly provided by LypyL via PM.

Sorry if I missed any updates from you all. Just let me know if you have anything later. :)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I'm putting the finishing touches on the jet together right now (your jet link is for my Enhanced Sky again :D ) Do you want to download the standard assets it needs (I believe it's vehicle + particle systems) and I can just export the rest, or should I export everything?

If I have time I'm also going to try and sneak in a small update for Enhanced Sky - nothing major, I should have it done by Friday night

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am also working on a updated version of the script for the demo. Should be ready in a day or two
edit: I would be interested to try out the updated floating origin script ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks guys. :)

No worries, take all the time you need to finish your updates.