Magic item repair

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
johnwax

Magic item repair

Post by johnwax »

Now that the magic item maker is on line, can magic items repair be added? In the classic, having 'magicrepair 1' in Z.cfg enhances the 'repair object' power of the item maker.

Another, related, question - If you enchant 'strengthens armor' or 'added spell points', for example, will that never need repair as in the classic, or? It seems that the only magic items needing repair are those having actual spells added - but in the item maker you can add when-used spells along with constant things like featherweight.

Jay_H

Re: Magic item repair

Post by Jay_H »

johnwax wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:02 pm Now that the magic item maker is on line, can magic items repair be added? In the classic, having 'magicrepair 1' in Z.cfg enhances the 'repair object' power of the item maker.
In your settings.ini file, there's a line called AllowMagicRepairs. Set that to:

Code: Select all

AllowMagicRepairs = True

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Jay. :)

For your other question, "passive" enchantments don't currently result in any item wear from the effect itself. Even in classic, only "active" enchantments (use/strike) seem to cause any item wear from effect. This page on UESP states that on-equip items lose "105 every time the item is equipped plus an additional decrease of 1 for every in-game minute the item is equipped." But I've trialled this in classic and see no such decay. This would break any passive magic item within a day or two of resting or fast travel, and that never happens in classic. So for now passive enchantments cause no durability loss.

But keep in mind that weapons and armour will break over time from normal use, regardless of enchantments, and you can only repair them by enabling the (rather mild) magic repair cheat.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 pm But keep in mind that weapons and armour will break over time from normal use, regardless of enchantments, and you can only repair them by enabling the (rather mild) magic repair cheat.
Then equip items with the "Repairs Objects" passive enchantment, which (as I despise equipment durability systems generally) I'd been waiting for for a long time!

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Thanks to all :D

pango

Post by pango »

In classic, the effects of items enchanted when held are recasted periodically every n hours (7 or 8 hours? I don't remember what figure I've heard of). One consequence is that if the effect has some magnitude range, you may get varying results periodically. I suspect this is also what wears those items over time.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 pm Thank you Jay. :)

For your other question, "passive" enchantments don't currently result in any item wear from the effect itself. Even in classic, only "active" enchantments (use/strike) seem to cause any item wear from effect. This page on UESP states that on-equip items lose "105 every time the item is equipped plus an additional decrease of 1 for every in-game minute the item is equipped." But I've trialled this in classic and see no such decay. This would break any passive magic item within a day or two of resting or fast travel, and that never happens in classic. So for now passive enchantments cause no durability loss.

But keep in mind that weapons and armour will break over time from normal use, regardless of enchantments, and you can only repair them by enabling the (rather mild) magic repair cheat.
I finally got around to fixing the Magical Items classic UESP page (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Magical_Items) per my own in-game testing and Interkarma's findings above. (By the way, I'm very glad DFU doesn't try to change classic's similar prevention of item decay due to passive "when equipped" enchantments, which would make these items essentially useless and render an entire class of enchantments pointless for gameplay purposes, as IK notes.)

Otherwise, I still won't be too active on the forums for a while, but there are still a handful of significant classic mechanics (re: Armor/Weapon durability, Shield armor ratings, and Stealth usage) that need code confirmation listed in the first post at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2514#p29301 - contributions will be appreciated!