"Implement Jump skill formula, refine movement speed, and tune gravity to better match classic"

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Re: "Implement Jump skill formula, refine movement speed, and tune gravity to better match classic"

Post by jayhova »

I would say the perfect answer would be to ask Julian 'What machine did you use as the test bed for development?'. The next best thing would be to create a slider system like for these items like as for the mouse, attack, etc. Have a default "Classic" setting and then have settings that simulate classic played on various machines of the era. My assumption is that if you look at what the best hardware was at the time of the game's development, that was the hardware that the game was designed to run on.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Hazelnut

Re: "Implement Jump skill formula, refine movement speed, and tune gravity to better match classic"

Post by Hazelnut »

Prompted by your recent tweet Interkarma, for low skill chars the jump seems too powerful which makes the skill seem a bit useless. In fact it can make some jumping in dungeons a bit tricky. (attached a save with an interesting set of stairs activated by a lever somewhere) I found it was far to easy to simply jump over or slide off these platforms. The fact that jump skill might actually increase the difficulty of these situations is kinda weird, but anyway thought the save may help tuning jump.
Attachments
SAVE135.zip
(327.68 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Personally, I really like that I can scale hedges and stuff right away. There is a height that even a child could surmount, so having your character barely rise above the ground because of "low jumping skill" would seem goofy. Not a good tradeoff just to give the skill usefulness.

You could just keep making the skill useless, which no one seems to mind much. Or you could make the skill reduce fall damage, which would give it some purpose without making jumping goofy.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

You can allways climb hedges. Which is what you would normally do if you couldn't leap medium hedges in a single bound :)

I like the concept of reducing fall damage.

One problem I seem to run into is that when I try to jump across openings in dungeons is that I jump too high, hit the ceiling and fall. And this is not a character with jump particularly trained.
Maybe it would be possible to change jumping with forward momentum to have less of an upward angle? Or is the whole probvlem that you currently jump too high?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to clarify the purpose of this topic, I'm after people's memories and experiences from classic Daggerfall - specifically running on 1996-1999 hardware from the time. I'm not really after feedback relating to how things are now, as that's already scheduled to go away. :)

As I mention in the first post, I do plan to add settings for movement, jump speed, gravity, etc. so that players can dial in a "feel" they're comfortable with. Keeping in mind that classic's movement was heavily CPU-dependent and we all have slightly different muscle memory of this anyway, I hope to find a sensible set of defaults that works for most people out of the box.

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

You should have the setting be a dropdown menu with the choices "386", "486" and "Pentium" :D