New To Daggerfall

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: New To Daggerfall

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome :) I should be more specific; I refer to the live builds, the ones available on the main home page. .146 is the correct current one.

NPC reactions are still quite hostile, so I expect it'll take more adjustments in the future.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've personally not encountered this problem in latest builds, and all the feedback I've received is that NPCs are much easier to deal with now. The only time I see a negative response from an NPC is rightly when the character has a negative legal reputation, low personality, or selects an inappropriate tone.

Jay, are you able to provide an example of NPCs being hostile to a character as of 0.7.146? A save to reproduce would be ideal. Thank you.

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Gotta say I did now have the NPC problem. Starter playing the latest build after porting my save games from classic and didn't notice any change in NPC behavior between the two. As with classic, in DFU it was just a matter of using proper tone and it got easier as my rep rose over time.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

~ George Bernard Shaw

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:07 am I've personally not encountered this problem in latest builds, and all the feedback I've received is that NPCs are much easier to deal with now. The only time I see a negative response from an NPC is rightly when the character has a negative legal reputation, low personality, or selects an inappropriate tone.

Jay, are you able to provide an example of NPCs being hostile to a character as of 0.7.146? A save to reproduce would be ideal. Thank you.
I suppose low personality (19) counts here, but the responses are universally negative. Here's the save game.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

To quote the game itself "with your personality of 19, you are considered unpopular". There should be no surprise that NPCs don't want to deal with you, they perceive your character as rude and abrasive and your very presence is an affront to them. That's pretty much what a 19 personality means. :)

I'm not quite willing to accept this as a problem, or what's the point of even having the personality attribute in the first place? You could perhaps work around this by raising personality or using enchantments to increase your reactions with NPCs.

Edit: Just raising personality by 1 point to 20 takes you up to "anonymous" and roughly half the NPCs will at least give you directions on that character. I think this working as intended.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It is certainly more severe than classic, though -- while admitting that Personality was almost non-existent in classic. My powergaming strategy in DF included setting Personality to 10, and I could easily get a good response in 2/5 of conversations.

I think people would be better served by a sliding scale rather than plateaus, but I'll leave that to you.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Fair enough, this can definitely be refined. :) In the meantime, keep your personality above 20 or people see you and think: https://youtu.be/1Mosy1FLCNA

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Unexpected Princess Bride :lol: Well played!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to get a better handle on the problem, I tried the following process 10 times:
  1. Loaded the save you provided above
  2. Speak with an NPC and ask about the first Alchemist in the list "Bargain Herbs"
  3. Counted the number of NPCs I had to speak with before someone gave me directions
Here are results over 10 iterations:

Code: Select all

Attempt1  = 3
Attempt2  = 1
Attempt3  = 2
Attempt4  = 3
Attempt5  = 2
Attempt6  = 8
Attempt7  = 2
Attempt8  = 2
Attempt9  = 1
Attempt10 = 1
The standout here is that one of my attempts required me to speak with 8 different NPCs with your 19 personality before I could get directions. But randomness can be weird like that. In most attempts I only required 1-3 NPCs to get some directions.

Is this not roughly what you're experiencing with that same save in 0.7.146?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

My experience is actually limited because, somehow, I forgot to upgrade my quest testing build from .145 when .146 came out. So I'm actually skewed on that, but I made the above video 3 different times in .146 (due to recording errors) and never once got directions from anyone. That's roughly 30 tries and no success.