New To Daggerfall

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Re: New To Daggerfall

Post by Ommamar »

Well to be fair Daggerfall was really the first game that had a system where you could really build or loose reputation and have your personality have so much effect in how the world interacts with you. They learned and included a more transparent system in the later games, some appreciated how you had to figure things out in Daggerfall when it first came out with no internet to help at the level we have now. Just a bunch of discussions among local groups of players, maybe a guide if you where lucky.

I am curious how the charm spell fits into the equation, would it actually be better to use a spell to boost the personality attribute for speech checks? It is good information to know explains why if I ask about a person in a quest I usually get blown off but if I just ask after a residence I get directions.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Charm only works on human enemies like Warrior and Battlemage. It can pacify them. It can't be used on townspeople.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 pm Charm only works on human enemies like Warrior and Battlemage. It can pacify them. It can't be used on townspeople.
Well it might not do anything but I can cast it on them all day. So far I have not had any luck pacifying with Charm although I keep hearing you can. Then to get a better response it would be buff personality attribute.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:14 am
Kaedius wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:23 pmYou get a negative penalty to attack with low agility, penalty to regen rate and hitpoints with low endurance, penalty to melee damage with low strength. Low personality, following the same logic as those attributes, applies a penalty as well. In this case it's to your reputation.
That's true, although I just made a character with 11 agi and he barely misses at all. I guess I'm thinking in terms of hard penalties, not simply number reduction. Getting info and not getting it is a threshold, it's not a gradual reduction in the info you get. That makes low PER's penalty profound. And if the way to raise rep is to do quests, but you can't do quests because no one will help you, you're in an immediate hole that's hard to get out of. Sorry, I just think that's bad design.
Even if DFU almost strictly follows classic regarding NPC reactions, I agree it would be more logical to also take reputation into account when asking an NPC for any kind of information. I may change this in the future, especially because NPC greetings do use reputation while their answers do not, which can sometimes lead to rather odd NPC behavior: an NPC can be very warm when greeting the player while very unfriendly when answering any question.

Regarding the problem mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2410, this is a regression from my previous work on NPC reactions, I'll fix it soon.

Fiore1300

Post by Fiore1300 »

I'm about to start my first full playthrough with Daggerfall, and I decided to create a imperial spy based on the Agent class of later games, with a focus on Personality and Agility. I'm not trying to minmax here, just to roleplay a Blades agent in the way they would most likely be trained. Have any thoughts/suggestions?

Primary: Long Blade, Short Blade, Illusion
Major: Stealth, Lockpicking, Critical Strike
Minor: Backstabbing, Etiquette, Streetwise, Dodging, Medical, Orcish

I wanted to include Pickpocketing and Mercantile but I thought the others more important for the character. I kind of wish Disguise had been implemented in game because that would have been perfect for this build.

I have a couple of questions regarding the build in Unity:

1. Reading UESP, Long Blade is described as Strength-determined but is actually based on Agility. Was this changed in Unity and/or the community patch?

2. Critical Strike has been described as allowing you to do more damage, but actually increases hit chance instead. Has this been changed?

3. UESP also states that the racial attribute buffs/debuffs don't actually affect your character and are completely overridden by your class. Is this still true in Unity?

These three things kinda sound like bugs, but I understand they might have also been left in to remain true to the original title. What is the case with these?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

2 and 3 are the same in Unity. I don't know about the first.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

It is kind of deceptive how it describes things, there is also the fact that the information in UESP can be misleading or sometimes not applicable to DFU. This is being worked on but slow process you can search around for threads on updating UESP and a DFU wiki.

1. Agility governs how fast you can raise long blade so in that way it governs damage as higher skill equals more hits which means more damage. Strength helps you reach the maximum damage an attack can do but it is still governed by a dice roll with modifiers applied.

2. Critical strike can be considered to give you more damage as it raises your chance to hit which in the end increases damage. What it doesn't do, even though it was thought to for a long time, is give you a damage multiplier on a successful hit. Backstab still does however if you want to be sneaky which sounds like it would fit your build.

3. My understanding through discussions on this forum is that the racial attributes still play a part but they can be effected particularly by using different options in a custom class build. I think this has been update to show correct information: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Races