New To Daggerfall

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
XchucksteakX

New To Daggerfall

Post by XchucksteakX »

As the title states i'm new to Daggerfall, but not new to the elder scrolls games (started with morrowind-skyrim). So far i've been liking what i've played but i AM struggling with a few things, hoping that someone out there could help me out and give me a little insight so i can be more aware of what to do/what i should be doing.

1. Character Creation: i've seen some posts on reddit of people mentioning for advantages/disadvantages to use immunity - magic and for disadvantages critical weakness to disease, poison, paralysis. making your hp/level gain 30, and if you use magic at all to have the x3 multiplier. is this all still true for DF Unity? i've had a few ideas of some characters i want to make but not really sure how to actually make a good character.

2. Quests/Communicating with NPCs: i've obtained some quests where i need to locate someone, but whenever i ask people where person X is they always tell me that they don't want to tell me, or to piss off, why should i tell you, etc. why is this? i'm not really sure why no one wants to help me and/or why everyone seems to turn their nose up at me constantly. it's making it very frustrating to navigate to finish a quest because i'm basically getting no help, and have to blindly search 20+ buildings.

3. Dungeons: so far the only dungeons i've been able to find/crawl have been "crypts" (the little dungeons in cemeteries). they are super small and only seem to consist of a few rooms, least the ones i've come across so far. how do i find the bigger/better dungeons? i seem to only be stuck on going through these little crypts atm.

Any help is greatly appreciated. i'm sure that i will actually like DF, but i'm kind of left scratching my head with some of these things and i'm not entirely sure how to solve these issues. i seem to be having a hard time finding information on google, i'm assuming because of how old the game is, and odds are not many people are playing DF :D

Jay_H

Re: New To Daggerfall

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome :)
XchucksteakX wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 am 1. Character Creation: i've seen some posts on reddit of people mentioning for advantages/disadvantages to use immunity - magic and for disadvantages critical weakness to disease, poison, paralysis.
No, those are all imbalances in Daggerfall that DFU has altered. You can choose them but they'll make your gaming experience very deadly.

Choose immunity to Paralysis or a High Elf. After that poison and disease are fairly important but don't demand immunity.
making your hp/level gain 30, and if you use magic at all to have the x3 multiplier. is this all still true for DF Unity? i've had a few ideas of some characters i want to make but not really sure how to actually make a good character.
Yes always, and yes if you want to use magic.

There's a beginner's guide on uesp that's written for classic but still fairly important for DFU.
2. Quests/Communicating with NPCs: i've obtained some quests where i need to locate someone, but whenever i ask people where person X is they always tell me that they don't want to tell me, or to piss off, why should i tell you, etc. why is this? i'm not really sure why no one wants to help me and/or why everyone seems to turn their nose up at me constantly. it's making it very frustrating to navigate to finish a quest because i'm basically getting no help, and have to blindly search 20+ buildings.
That's something that's under development. How recent is your build? The most recent one made a big adjustment to make sure people are friendlier to respond to you.
3. Dungeons: so far the only dungeons i've been able to find/crawl have been "crypts" (the little dungeons in cemeteries). they are super small and only seem to consist of a few rooms, least the ones i've come across so far. how do i find the bigger/better dungeons? i seem to only be stuck on going through these little crypts atm.
Join a guild (one of the blue buildings on your map in a large city) and get quests from them. They'll send you to the real dungeons.

XchucksteakX

Post by XchucksteakX »

Ah OK thank you very much Jay_H, I'll reroll a new character tomorrow when I get home from work and give it all another shot. As far as I'm aware I have the newest build of DFU, but it's good to hear that the NPCs being friendlier is under development so it's not necessarily something I'm doing wrong :lol: so I guess for now I shouldn't really bother with the quests they give just do the guild ones?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Most of Daggerfall doesn't happen until you look for it, so unless you visit guilds or townspeople and ask them for work, the world's going to pretty much leave you alone. (Except for mods you add.) You'll get an invitation to meet Lady Brisienna a few weeks after you start, but that's the only time the game looks for you.

Guilds are the fast-track to adventure, so join the ones you think relate to you and take advantage of everything they have to offer.

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

Also, prepare to learn why people keep harping on the downsizing of the Elder Scrolls franchise..... :twisted:

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Dalebvr wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:13 pm Also, prepare to learn why people keep harping on the downsizing of the Elder Scrolls franchise..... :twisted:
Yep. Although I have much love for Morrowind (and even Skyrim) in their own ways, especially with a selection of mods, it's always kind of funny to me how the "kids" these days seem to think Morrowind is the most immersive of all the TES games, when the huge chunk of the continent of Tamriel that should be Vvardenfell is like a few hundred people across a few square kilometers of shacks.

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

Heh. I know, I love showing that group that the 'Morrowind' they embrace is less than 20% of the actual province. Hopefully, there will be a push to extend DF's worldmap eastward. You have Skyrim and Oblivion for templates, and nothing would make me happier than having them more robust. I particularly want to see that sad excuse for an 'imperial city' re-engineered with vast farms, docks, and all the military pomp that such a location would have. Oblivion was more like an outpost on the edge of nowhere; it certainly wasn't a cosmopolitan center. The really creative one would be the Morrowind province, since it has such a large area.

How robust a system would have to be to handle such a vast terrain is an open question, but with mountain ranges to act as occlusion structures, it may be possible. It would take years no doubt, but the results would be incredible. And it might be much easier to do once the DF core is done and stable.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

My favorite explanation of how TES has become more casual and less of an RPG simulator.

Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

Yeah, I like that one too.

tomjoad2020ad

Post by tomjoad2020ad »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:17 am That's something that's under development. How recent is your build? The most recent one made a big adjustment to make sure people are friendlier to respond to you.
Hey there, I'm another new person to the boards here. I have the most recent live build on dfworkshop (PreAlpha 0.7.146, 25-May 2019), but I think that was before the friendliness adjustment was implemented. When people around here talk about 'the latest build,' am I to take it they mean pulling the source from Github and compiling/running from Unity? Or am I mistaking the best place to get the latest version release?