Question about randomness...

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Kayzee

Question about randomness...

Post by Kayzee »

Okay, this is kinda bugging me. I have no idea if this is due to bugs in Daggerfall Unity or some quirks of the original Daggerfall I don't remember or if I am going crazy or something, but I have noticed a few odd things while playing:

1. Treasure piles on the ground in dungeons seem to repeat at times. Is there a limited number of pre-set piles of treasure or something? Because I swear I have seen many piles that have the exact same items in them.

2. Quests seems to pick the same location/building each time the quest is run most of the time. Isn't it supposed to always pick a new one every time?

I haven't heard anyone say anything about this, so I am not sure if it is intentional or something. It seems like someone would have noticed it before... so what gives? Maybe it's just me?

Interkarma

Re: Question about randomness...

Post by Interkarma »

Number 1 sounds like this bug report. A mod can break the random seed of treasure piles. This is still open for now.

I'm not sure about number 2, it's not something I've really noticed. Selection of towns and buildings is random, but the quest itself sets what kind of building it wants to use. That can mean there's a limited pool of buildings available depending on the quests. Very large towns in large provinces (e.g. Daggerfall city in Daggerfall province) will have a much larger pool than a small town in a tiny province. I'd need to know specific quests, provinces, and towns where this seems to occur to look closer at this one.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Just adding to data with my anecdotal experience:

1) Identical treasure piles should be very rare in classic Daggerfall and Daggerfall Unity.

2) Identically chosen quest locations should happen, but rarely. Its mostly noticeable if you spend A LOT of time in one province.

I'd just heed Interkarma's advice above.

pango

Post by pango »

Looks like a bug when any models replacement mod is in use, see the bug report mentioned above...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart