Repairing enchanted items?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mikeprichard

Re: Repairing enchanted items?

Post by mikeprichard »

I didn't see you as disagreeing with me; just thought you were misinterpreting the topic/my post as you seemed to be implying this was something new and/or something that would be changing gameplay further than was allowed by classic's .cfg option (e.g. possibly costing more for magic item repairs), and didn't want to leave things unclear. And Interkarma had suggested moving it to the Enhancements section of the in-game options, but I'm suggesting it be placed with the instant repairs option, which is instead in the Gameplay section. So no problems here - carry on!

BUBISHI

Post by BUBISHI »

I have the option set to true in my .ini and the box checked in my setup but armorers and merchants wont repair my damaged magic item. How does this feature work?

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

BUBISHI wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 pm I have the option set to true in my .ini and the box checked in my setup but armorers and merchants wont repair my damaged magic item. How does this feature work?
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BUBISHI wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 pm I have the option set to true in my .ini
FYI, the option has now been included in the DFU in-game options for convenience - no need to mess around with the .ini files to toggle this anymore.

BUBISHI

Post by BUBISHI »

Thanks, I just wanted to double-check so I opened the .ini file.

Jhonrock

Post by Jhonrock »

Hello guys!

I was looking on google for information about the "repair object" enchanting and the nearest thing I found was this topic.

As it is stated on UESP, this enchantment will automatically repair any damaged item within your inventory , by one durability level, each 8 hours of rest.

Does it only works with weapon and armor pieces?

After reaching Daedric gear level, paying to NPCs for repairs has become WAY too expensive. Because of that, I crafted one accessory with this enchantment and I'm trying to use it to repair my gear but, as far as I could notice, it isn't working on magically enchanted accessories. Is this correct?

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Jhonrock wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 pm Hello guys!

I was looking on google for information about the "repair object" enchanting and the nearest thing I found was this topic.

As it is stated on UESP, this enchantment will automatically repair any damaged item within your inventory , by one durability level, each 8 hours of rest.

After reaching Daedric gear level, paying to NPCs for repairs has become WAY too expensive. Because of that, I crafted one accessory with this enchantment and I'm trying to use it to repair my gear but, as far as I could notice, it isn't working on magically enchanted accessories. Is this correct?
I found a reddit thread with some more details on this mechanic (be sure to click through to "continue" and view all conversations within the thread): https://www.reddit.com/r/Daggerfall/com ... k/d7buguk/. To summarize based on a brief review of that thread and no testing of my own, it may be the case that as noted there, each item enchanted with a repair buff "only repairs one thing at a time and you have little control over which items are being repaired first" - so you might need to remove some other damaged equipment temporarily to see whether that speeds up the repair of the magically enchanted accessories. And of course, make sure you have magic repair enabled in the DFU settings to begin with, or it will never work.

This is one of a few related areas I have on the UESP wiki update list (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2514), so I'd appreciate hearing back as to your experience.

Jhonrock

Post by Jhonrock »

mikeprichard wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:26 pm
Jhonrock wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 pm Hello guys!

I found a reddit thread with some more details on this mechanic (be sure to click through to "continue" and view all conversations within the thread): https://www.reddit.com/r/Daggerfall/com ... k/d7buguk/. To summarize based on a brief review of that thread and no testing of my own, it may be the case that as noted there, each item enchanted with a repair buff "only repairs one thing at a time and you have little control over which items are being repaired first" - so you might need to remove some other damaged equipment temporarily to see whether that speeds up the repair of the magically enchanted accessories. And of course, make sure you have magic repair enabled in the DFU settings to begin with, or it will never work.

This is one of a few related areas I have on the UESP wiki update list (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2514), so I'd appreciate hearing back as to your experience.
Uuummmmmm.... thx for the info.
One item at a time... I'll look into it with more attention. Even if it is the case, if I can use it to repair the most expensive pieces, it will be worth, kinda of...

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Did some testing in both classic Daggerfall and DFU: in classic Daggerfall, with "magicrepair 1" in the Z.cfg file, an equipped item with the Repairs Objects enchantment would eventually repair any magical item, including equipped and unequipped damaged magical clothes/miscellaneous items/weapons/armor. Similarly, in DFU, I was easily able to repair a damaged magical items using an equipped item with this enchantment.

However, from my fairly extensive initial testing in both classic and DFU, I've confirmed the old assumption that the Repairs Objects enchantment simply improves one damaged item by one condition level every 8 hours of rest is false. Rather, the enchantment appears to work at least every hour to sequentially restore the underlying health points of each damaged item equipped and in inventory. For example, with a full set of non-magical and magical miscellaneous items/weapons/armor equipped, among which was a helmet with Repairs Objects and four damaged magical items (an amulet, a mark, a pauldron, and a katana), after a a range of 3-6 hours each, the amulet and then the mark were repaired, followed after many more hours the pauldron, then finally the katana. What remains unconfirmed are:

1) The total starting health of all items, particularly clothes and miscellaneous items (see viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3489&p=42134#p42134).
2) The exact health point thresholds between the various item condition values; i.e., which percentage of total health must be lost for an item to be reduced from "New" to "Almost New" condition, etc.
3) The exact sequence by which the Repairs Objects enchantment "chooses" to repair items in inventory.
4) The exact amount of health points the Repairs Objects enchantment restores for each item per hour.

As DFU seems from my initial testing to match classic, any input from the DFU developers on how classic was reverse-engineered to arrive at the answers to the above would be much appreciated. The wiki will then finally be able to explain these mechanics in more accurate detail.

zimmicks

Post by zimmicks »

Hello all! First, for the record I don't consider repairing magic items cheating, as this was an original feature of Daggerfall version 1.0 and therefore not a cheat. It was only disabled by default after initial release.
Second, in my current playthrough, I have found that the Repair Objects enchantment must be occupying an equipped slot (whether worn on clothes, armor, wielded weapon, or any of the 12 miscellaneous slots) in order to actually repair anything. But, to be on the safe side, from now on I simply only use items with high EPs (rare Gems, Amulets, Torcs etc) and add Repair Objects enchantment to ALL items I make. It's more expensive, yes, but I think it's the only way to gaurantee all items being repaired at all appropriate times.
And Happy Mothers Day :-)