Do "Critical Strike" skill affect Damage?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mikeprichard

Re: Do "Critical Strike" skill affect Damage?

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:24 pm its more like something that needs to be fixed, rather than modded.
That would be Interkarma's decision.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pm
Teralitha wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:21 pm
mikeprichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:20 pm

It's saying that Critical Strike skill gives a skill% chance to increase the hit chance by skill/10%. Yet again, I agree it's not the best mechanic, but there it is.
Thats not quite what it says, look at my edited post above.
I saw it and replied to your edit, but as Interkarma and TheLacus explained, that is what it says. Anyway, mods can change it if you or another would like to do so.

"Dice100.SuccessRoll(attacker.Skills.GetLiveSkillValue(DFCareer.Skills.CriticalStrike))" refers to whether the Critical Strike skill roll is successful. That's the first check.
IF <------ "Dice100.SuccessRoll(attacker.Skills.GetLiveSkillValue(DFCareer.Skills.CriticalStrike))

that makes a big difference. you left out the IF

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Teralitha wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:24 pm its more like something that needs to be fixed, rather than modded.
Obviously. Whether or not it gets fixed, the game is still fun to play though as is. And honestly, from my observations playing the game, It seems that crits are actually doing extra damage. or something is.
Last edited by Teralitha on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Teralitha wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 pm that makes a big difference. you left out the IF
No; see my edits explaining the code further. We're ninja-ing each other's posts. Here it is again:

"[if] Dice100.SuccessRoll(attacker.Skills.GetLiveSkillValue(DFCareer.Skills.CriticalStrike))" refers to whether the Critical Strike skill roll is successful. That's the first check.

"{chanceToHit += (attacker.Skills.GetLiveSkillValue(DFCareer.Skills.CriticalStrike) / 10);}" refers to what happens if the first check is passed. In that case, chance to hit is increased by Critical Strike value/10.
Teralitha wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 pm
mikeprichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Obviously. Whether or not it gets fixed, the game is still fun to play though as is.
Obviously, it is. DFU is Daggerfall on steroids.
Last edited by mikeprichard on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Per Daggerfall's own manual:
dfmanual.png
dfmanual.png (185.18 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yeah, another of many instances where the manual was wrong compared to actual final game coding.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:28 pm Per Daggerfall's own manual:

dfmanual.png
Exactly, from the manual description, the critical strike skill is about doing max damage, not about succesfully hitting.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:28 pm Yeah, another of many instances where the manual was wrong compared to actual final game coding.
Thats why it needs to be "fixed" ;) And DFU is the perfect opportunity to do that.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

It's a case where Interkarma would have to decide to follow what the manual says the game should do vs. what the game actually did. I would also prefer the former, but would understand the latter given Interkarma's DFU design philosophy since the very beginning.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Well he has already made many changes to the classic game. I think he means he is sticking to the "core" gameplay, not every minute detail. To be fair, I think an argument could be made that having crits could make combat pretty crazy, especially if the AI can do it to you. Maybe thats why the devs didnt do it in the final product.
Last edited by Teralitha on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.