Click to attack or not to click to attack

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Click to attack or not to click to attack

Post by Ommamar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:55 pm

Hey all,

Really enjoying the port over to Unity. One of the option is to use click to attack it makes thing easier but I am torn on it. I move a lot when fighting so this makes it easier to actually get an attack of while doing that but it loses some of the flavor of classic Daggerfall. Initially I did not have this turned on and I was surprised how much harder DFU seemed then Daggerfall classic. I usually used Privateer's Hold as a place to farm and equip my characters but noticed that when I started a character without the click to attack I found myself having to tactically retreat a lot! I just went back there with a level 4 or 5 character with click to attack on and things went a lot smoother. I will try with a brand new character later and see how much of a difference it seems to make. What are your thoughts about this change? Do you like it or does it take away some of how classic Daggerfall felt?

mikeprichard

Re: Click to attack or not to click to attack

Post by mikeprichard » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:57 pm

I like it BECAUSE it takes away some of how classic Daggerfall felt. ;) Just that bit, anyway.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:59 pm

It was awkward for me too, switching from classic, but now im used to it and I like it better. I mainly checked the box because of the mouselocking which was annoying.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 am

Yes that was a part of the challenge of combat that swinging your weapon also moved your view. I get what you are saying as I often lost track of the enemy in classic Daggerfall. I still have a tendency to hold the button down while attacking so I end up moving the view around even with click to attack enabled. In a way it reminds me of Morrowinds combat system the only difference being that if I miss it doesn't appear that I made contact. In DCU a hit is clearly graphically shown that you hit the target with miss or block producing a audio indicator. I have noticed that the enemies have a lot more movement I was impressed earlier when I saw a Skeleton actually strafe in a circle around me. I am sure I will get use to the click to attack system if I keep using it just still not sure if it is losing some of the flavor that Daggerfall classic gave for melee combat.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:35 am

Once you get used to it im sure you will prefer it. I know I did. And I hated it at first. As for the enemies moving around, im not sure if that improves the combat or makes it harder. It makes it seem like i cant hit something though even when its in my face, like bats. I might turn it off later if it gets too annoying.

One thing ive noticed, it seems like skeletons are much harder to hit using anything but the ebony dagger, even when your skill is low with short blades. My current game I have longblades over 40%, but when I face a skeleton all I get is whiff whiff tink tink for an hour til I finally decide to switch to the ebony dagger and then its chunk chunk fight over. Might be a bug, I dunno.

Oh, and if you were fond of the crit weakness exploit, they fixed that here. I found out hard way.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:16 am

I will keep using it and I am sure you are correct in that I will get use to it. I think the enemy movement does make combat harder which is an improvement as it makes it feel more realistic. Bats are a little harder to hit but again that is realistic as if you ever tried to hit a healthy bat in real life it is pretty difficult.

I haven't tried the ebony dagger on skeletons as I only use it on things I couldn't hit with the steel saber I had found. So far that has been Mummies and the one Werewolf I ran across. But since I found a Dwarven Dai-Katana I am not sure if I will even use it anymore as my primary is long blade. I do wonder if blunt weapons will be better against skeletons, I always thought they where in classic Daggerfall but could of just been en expectation carried over from D&D games.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:22 am

I dont think you can hit daedra and some other creatures even with dwarven weapons. Best to keep that dagger til you find another ebony weapon or better.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:38 am

There are some mobs I won't be able to hit, I think Dwarven is good for Harpies on down. I will carry the dagger with me but since the Dai-Katana is a two-hander I can't easily swap it out so will have to deploy the oh shit run away strategy until I can get enough space to equip the Ebony Dagger. At least until I find a enchanted weapon which will likely happen before I find ebony items.

NoobioDF

Post by NoobioDF » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:50 am

@ Ommamar

Here is my concern with the click to attack option. When you use the mouse swing, you pick which of basically three swings you will do. A slash across, a chop downwards, and a thrust forward.

The thrust forward produces the least damage, but it has the highest chance to hit.
The chop downwards produces the most damage, but it has the lowest chance to hit.
The slash across produces average damage, but has an average chance to hit.

Now, with click to attack, I think you only always do slashes, so average damage, average chance to hit.

The importance of having the thrust attack, when you start off in the early game, is quite important and thematic. You actually can combine moving back and forth, with the mouse moved upwards, to do this thrust, and your chance to hit will be higher than a slash, and the click to attack SEEMS (NOTE SEEMS) to only do thrusts.

So using a lower skill for attacking, say in Long Blades, can be partly mitigated by using thrusts to increase your chance to hit, if even with lower damage. You might not hit anything otherwise. This also can be used to help hit with lower melee skills, and thus increase you chance to level them up in the field.

Now, I am not exactly sure what happens in DFU when you use the click to attack option. Maybe it just randomly simulates any attack, but it seems it just does slashes, and I think that was the actuality in Daggerfall Classic as well.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:57 am

you can still control the type of attack, its just a little harder. If you sit still and dont move while attacking it appears to be a random type.