Click to attack or not to click to attack

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Re: Click to attack or not to click to attack

Post by pango » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:49 pm

I checked the code to see how hard it would be to implement. But right now DFU does not allow to turn using keyboard; not while swinging a weapon, and not otherwise: the keys bound to TURN LEFT and TURN RIGHT are not currently wired to any action...
And implementing them is not trivial either, main problem being what acceleration profile to use (in other words, "how fast should you turn"). So I don't know if they're plans to implement that eventually.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Might as well get used to the quick click :) Its really better anyway.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:34 am

pango wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:49 pm
the keys bound to TURN LEFT and TURN RIGHT are not currently wired to any action...
Well it's the same thing as looking left and right, thus redundant and depriving your character of sideways movement. I'm all for options if they're useful, but I'm not a fan of giving people rope. Sometimes it's worth forcing people to learn a superior method. I'm not good at analogies, but it's maybe like showing a voodoo doctor real medicine.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:10 pm

I have to bring this up again, because I have been intentionally trying to get my weapon to do a forward thrust while using the click to attack option and it seems impossible. After several tries on both enemies or not enemies, just moving forward and changing angles, I cannot get thrust to happen at all. But every other attack type does work, but not consistently. For some reason, moving forward and attacking doesnt produce a thrust. If I am standing still with no target, the attacks come at random of every kind except thrust.

Your attack type does matter to a degree, in the chance to hit. Thrust is supposed to give you the best chance to hit with shortblade and I think longblade too.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Click to Attack chooses a motion at random. Your movement doesn't affect it.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Well Im not seeing it use thrust in its randomness.