Whats the difference Between Light and Magelight?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Teralitha

Whats the difference Between Light and Magelight?

Post by Teralitha »

Just wondering, because in my spellbook the effect of magelight just says "light"

Interkarma

Re: Whats the difference Between Light and Magelight?

Post by Interkarma »

You can ignore Magelight if you like. It's an example effect for developers to use as a learning tool when creating custom effect mods that integrate across all the various magic systems (e.g. spellbook, spellmaker, enchantment, potions).

At this time custom effect support is also still in progress. Magelight is my testbed so I have something available to bootstrap custom effect support. It's likely to be disabled again sometime in alpha or beta cycles.

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Do the Mage Light spells count as illusion? As in, could I raise my skill by using them?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Magelight is Illusion and should raise your skill normally.

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Thanks. I would prefer that mage light not be completely removed as it's nice not to have a floating candle obscuring your view. Perhaps keep it around as an option you have to enable?

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I never card for the floating candle in classic so if mage light doesn't have that it would be preferred over the light spell. The only time I ever used light was to raise illusion as the dungeons where always bright enough I didn't feel a need to cast light. Maybe there is already a mod or option but if not will dungeons become darker as the game is developed?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Dungeons have variable light settings. Look for "Enhancements" under the Daggerfall Unity settings, for "Light."

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If nobody has any complaints, I'm happy to leave Magelight in the game. It does make a nice change over the fluttering candle, and the variants each cast a different colour light.

On that subject, would anyone complain if I included Vanity Clone (a.k.a. the "selfie spell") in the base game? Otherwise I'll just make this a mod at some point.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

ahaha a selfie spell, yea go for it. Can we see ourselves in the game now? Never thought we could. if so, how.

And My vote is to replace the floating candle with the new multi colored mage light as well. main reason is because the floating candle has wonky lighting effects and I hate it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma explained it on the forum and on Twitter.