Music through MIDI OUT (ROLAND SC55/SC88)

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
JohnBeavers

Music through MIDI OUT (ROLAND SC55/SC88)

Post by JohnBeavers »

Hello everyone !

Do you think there is a way to play the music of the game through a midi expander, like the dosbox version, for example ?
Is this something that might be possible in the future ?
I've seen no "sound" menu in the 0.8.6 pre alpha launcher menu.

I own Roland expanders (MT-32, SC55, SC88) and I love to play my dos games with them as music output.

It would be a cool addition to stay true to the original source :)

Cheers !
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/

Interkarma

Re: Music through MIDI OUT (ROLAND SC55/SC88)

Post by Interkarma »

DFU uses its own MIDI software synth and doesn't output this signal in a way that can be used by hardware MIDI synths. This facility isn't in Unity, and would need to be engineered in using C#. Perhaps someone can integrate this or create a mod down the track?

I know it's not quite the same thing, but DFU supports custom SoundFonts. If you have an exported SoundFont from another sound card, you can use this to get closer to the desired sound. It's the best I can offer at this time, I'm sorry.

JohnBeavers

Re: Music through MIDI OUT (ROLAND SC55/SC88)

Post by JohnBeavers »

Thank you for your answer !

I've see the the remastered music mod project. I might create my alternative by recording the midi files on a good old roland SC88.
It might be a nice participation :)

It seems like their mod uses ogg files in a designated folder and that's it.

I might do that... interesting.

Cheers !
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/