Dungeon Maps

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Dungeon Maps

Post by Ommamar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:04 pm

I like the current 3d improvement to the map but kind of meh on the over head version. The problem is that the further out you zoom on the 3d version the easier it is to loose your location as things get in the way. The over head still has a tendency to place multiple levels over your location which is what I felt made the map in classic such a headache.

I did a search but couldn't find anything specifically about map suggestions specifically in the first 8 pages. One idea I have is instead of the up down arrows make it so you can toggle between "floors" so it would default to the lay out of the current level you are on. With arrows showing entries that lead up or down at the egress points, I think this would solve with how convoluted the dungeons can get.

I know there is a smaller dungeon option you can click which I am hoping is just a transitional option as I think with an improved method of mapping the classical type dungeons wouldn't be so bad.

mikeprichard

Re: Dungeon Maps

Post by mikeprichard » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Lots of discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163

pango

Post by pango » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 pm

There's no such thing as a floor or level on may (most?) Daggerfall dungeons though, unlike say Arena.
I don't really see how one could get this to work...
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Smaller dungeons option isn't related to map usage, it's there to make random dungeons smaller and faster to play through. There's no way this is going to be a transitional feature, feedback has been much too positive. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:21 pm

Imagine a semi-transparent plane (light blue on top, dark blue on bottom) that could intersect with a certain subsection of the dungeon map. As you use the right mouse button to move the visible span up and down, as already implemented, you can see "upward slopes" as light blue and "downward slopes" as dark blue. If no section of the dungeon intersects with the plane, it'll be normal-colored.

You are aware of the right mouse button's ability to move up and down the visible map section, right Ommamar?

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 pm

I think DFU map feature is quite good. I see no reason to spend time changing it. Maybe a modder can create a mod to change it to their liking.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:13 am

Jay_H wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:21 pm
Imagine a semi-transparent plane (light blue on top, dark blue on bottom) that could intersect with a certain subsection of the dungeon map. As you use the right mouse button to move the visible span up and down, as already implemented, you can see "upward slopes" as light blue and "downward slopes" as dark blue. If no section of the dungeon intersects with the plane, it'll be normal-colored.

You are aware of the right mouse button's ability to move up and down the visible map section, right Ommamar?
Yes I am aware of that but the problem from a top view position still has to do with how it overlays the different levels of the map. So I find it hard to achieve a happy medium where I am far away from my position to see where things lead particularly in regards to where I haven't been.

I like the idea of contrasting levels but I would go with different colors entirely instead of a shades of a color to denote the change in altitude.

I don't think it is bad just think it could be improved even more then it has, as it is it is miles ahead of what was available in classic. The design of this thread was to brainstorm ideas on how to improve the system while still retaining as much of the classic flavor as possible. It might come down to a community mod but still a place to talk about what one would like to see improvement wise.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:28 am

mikeprichard wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:04 pm
Lots of discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163
Yes there is thanks for that, only made it to the 8th page but will work through to see how it developed and if there are any tricks I can use to help navigate.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 am

I agree the dungeon automapping still isn't ideal, but that's more due to the insane complexity of most of classic's dungeon maps. Nystul has done some fantastic work getting mapping into a more usable state.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:06 am

mikeprichard wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 am
I agree the dungeon automapping still isn't ideal, but that's more due to the insane complexity of most of classic's dungeon maps. Nystul has done some fantastic work getting mapping into a more usable state.
I whole absolutely agree with that statement! This thread was not designed to belittle the work done in anyway rather it is an attempt to get others feedback and thoughts on how it could be improved.

I have found there is a break away option that gives me close to what I am looking for on the top view as it only shows the portion of the map that I am on. The only improvement I can currently think of is if there was a transition indicator where the altitude of the map changes. I could see different colors used, one for if it goes up another for if it goes down similar to how the portals have been handled.