Regarding Luck

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Teralitha

Re: Regarding Luck

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:09 am This reminds me of the Critical Strike discussion, heh... if it's not in the code, it's not happening! :) Science > feelings.
"As far as he knows" When someone says that, it means they are not 100% certain.

I will do an experiment. I will make a character with 0 luck and see if there is a significant difference in loot drops.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Searching the code (not that I'm interested in doing that myself) would be the only thing that's conclusive, while with that type of experiment you'd need to do a helluva lot of it to still not clearly prove anything and possibly unintentionally spread misinformation, but I can't stop you.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Fate would reveal very quickly that luck has no effect on loot drops. Before I even entered the first dungeon, in that little campfire room, I casted slowfall for practice, and a humanoid interrupted my first rest and he had on him 2 pieces of elven armor on him. That is consistent with every other game I have played, in that I find good stuff often. That or Im just a lucky person in general.

I also discovered that this starting room has been changed from classic. In classic, no enemies would ever spawn in that room. Did you watch my old character creation video interkarma? I bet you did. He fixed another little exploit in the first dungeon it seems. But, with the addition of the "skip starter dungeon" he sort of created another.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yeah, I wouldn't call skipping PH a clear exploit - you can get some good initial combat training and phat lewt by going through it. Regardless, skipping the starter dungeon is optional, but the monster spawn change ain't.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:19 am Yeah, I wouldn't call skipping PH a clear exploit - you can get some good initial combat training and phat lewt by going through it. Regardless, skipping the starter dungeon is optional, but the monster spawn change ain't.
You can get the exact same combat training and loot in any other crypt/tomb. The starter dungeon is otherwise irrelevant except for one possible difficulty you arent likely to get from a tomb, and can circumvent shortly after getting some money. But its a minor thing.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

There is a single available crypt on the little island southwest of daggerfall province. Try going there at the start of the game. Its quite a profitable little dungeon to start out from, and also is good for practicing lock pick.
Last edited by Teralitha on Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Teralitha wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:58 am He said "as far as he knows." To me that means its still a possibility. Either way, based on my experience, I seem to get more and better loot when I increase my luck attribute. But its not like I have done a scientific study heh. Maybe I will.
I am 100% without any shadow of a doubt confident that Daggerfall Unity does not use luck in the generation of loot. The game is open source, you can check this yourself.

What I'm talking about is classic Daggerfall. As far as I know, Allofich has reverse engineered this from classic Daggerfall and luck is not used there either. I can't express full confidence here, as I didn't perform the reverse engineering work for this system. But I have a lot of faith in the person who did, and he has proven his bona fides to me countless times.

If Allofich/R.D. decides to comment, he might be able to shed more light on the subject. But I don't have anything I can add to the conversation at this point.. :)

Teralitha

Post by Teralitha »

Im already convinced that luck is not a factor in loot rolls.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:31 am I am 100% without any shadow of a doubt confident that Daggerfall Unity does not use luck in the generation of loot. The game is open source, you can check this yourself.
Thanks for yet again confirming this. All that matter are the facts!