Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:
Nystul wrote: floating origin script does not seem to solve the shadow flickering in all cases. still encounter it sometimes
but the script does no longer crash me like the old one did
I managed to work out the issue why flickering shadows would return occasionally. There were also some issues with the floating Y triggering when it was supposed to. Between that and all the other problems, I'm happy to just to leave it disabled for now. Will come back it later when I can sit down and resolve all the edge cases. :)
Yeah, tackle it when you feel it is time to do so ;)
btw, I am thinking of improving the far terrain mod to get a better transition between the normal terrain and the far terrain. Currently only ideas in my head. I might need your assistence at some point though. ;)

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

For anyone who had the "white film texture" bug on the travel map, please let me know if you're still experiencing it or not - I can't reproduce it myself. Thanks! :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I just tried it, and the white still appears on the maps, same as before. An interesting quirk that I noticed was that if I hit Escape on the continental map, the blinking white stopped immediately.

I've tried taking a screenshot, but it goes away too quickly; my computer actually takes about 10 seconds per. I'll sum up everything I can observe about it, as I don't believe I've done so in an organized manner yet:
  • The white film appears on both the continental and regional maps.
  • On the continental map, the white covers every inch of the map, including all borders and buttons, but not the gameplay screen behind the map. It blinks white four times and then disappears, restoring normal color. Pressing Escape eliminates the blinking immediately, restoring normal color. The blinking occurs at the same speed as the Find crosshair.
  • On the regional map, the white is constant, and does not blink. It only covers the terrain section of the map screen, and does not affect the borders or buttons. Pressing Escape returns me to the continental map (as expected), preventing me from trying that as an inadvertent solution.
I'm grateful for the efforts so far. Let me know if there's anything more I can test to help.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Thanks for the report Jay. That's disappointing!

The reason it's flashing is because it's the region identification texture (it highlights what region you're currently in when you first open the travel map or hit the I'm at button on the main map), same with why hitting esc stops it.

On the region map - you can see the region, but not any locations?

And does the red crosshair seem to work normally?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Actually, I just tried it in this new version, and the crosshair no longer works. Now the regional map blinks even more white instead.

And that's right, I can't see any dots on the regional map.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Jay_H wrote:Actually, I just tried it in this new version, and the crosshair no longer works. Now the regional map blinks even more white instead.
Ah, that's potentially useful! Thanks. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

There's an issue with the travel map I think I forgot to mention. In vanilla, the game allows omitting the definite article at the beginning of the regional search. If I'm looking for The Ruins of Old Elayne's Hovel, I can search for "ruins of old" and it'll take me there. In the current travel map, I have to write "the ruins of old" before it'll recognize it.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Jay_H wrote:There's an issue with the travel map I think I forgot to mention. In vanilla, the game allows omitting the definite article at the beginning of the regional search. If I'm looking for The Ruins of Old Elayne's Hovel, I can search for "ruins of old" and it'll take me there. In the current travel map, I have to write "the ruins of old" before it'll recognize it.
yeah the search is implemented in a very simple way right now. I'm planning on making it better when I get the chance, but that's a low priority.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I couldn't decide where the best place to post this is, but I just want to say I love the twitter updates, Interkarma. Seeing you resolve Daggerfall's building name procedure in <48 hours is just incomprehensible to me (even if there were good clues within the actual guts of the machine). I wasn't even aware there were Wood Elf names in Daggerfall, either. Did they really write them in for NPCs who wouldn't appear?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Jay. :)

The elf name banks are probably a frozen-in remnant from an earlier design. Perhaps they intended to have wandering NPCs of all races and eventually just stuck with a few human races for simplicity of art. There are no khajiit or argonian name banks though, maybe by then they had already scrapped the idea.