Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Post by Jay_H »

Just out of curiosity, do you have any expectation on how complex the remaining systems will be? Easier or harder than the progress already made, etc?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've solved a lot of hard problems already (base API, streaming world, save import, items, etc.) and still have a few clusters of complex systems to work through (notably effects & spells, quests, correct combat resolution). There's obviously a lot more to do, but I'd say we're past the half-way point in terms of legitimately complex problems.

My plan from here is to keep the world mostly as-is (which is at least "pretty good") and continue building out gameplay systems as a priority. Below is a summary of my internal release track. This will continue to evolve over time. Every release stage will also iterate on previous stages.
  • 0.1 - Supporting API, full streaming world, multi-platform, basic combat and exploration, import classic saves, serialization, etc. All the framework stuff.
  • 0.2 - Initial items and inventory support.
  • 0.3 - Initial effects and spells support.
  • 0.4 - Basic (and I mean basic) quest support.
  • 0.5 - Build out existing systems so Daggerfall Unity is at least roughly playable. It will be missing a lot of stuff but will be taking shape by this point. All of the truly complex problems as I measure them should be solved.
  • 0.6 and up - Continue iterating. Amplify and refine all previous systems towards eventual 1.0 release.
Long way to go yet but things are actually further along than most people might think. I'm hoping to be up to 0.5 before end of the year. If not released, at least well underway.

alephnaught

Post by alephnaught »

Amazing work. Seeing Daggerfall in 1920x1080 is something to behold, and I can already imagine how great it's going to look once some eager modders have created some hi-res textures and sprites for the world.

So, lots of glitches as would be expected at this stage, images at the link. Some of these may be standard Daggerfall behaviour (eg. the blank texture down the side of doors?) but not sure so included them anyway. Running at 1920x1080 with all mod cons, so could be one of the mods causing some of these. Also falling into the void a lot, but hey, it's Daggerfall!

Bring on 0.3!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6A9e ... lVob2lqQm8

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

G'day alephnaught. Thank you for your kind words and welcome to the forums. :)

Some feedback for you on the image list you kindly provided.
  • doortexture - Daggerfall uses a solid colour texture on the edges of doors. It's like this in game as well.
  • falling - will be fixed in next build.
  • noclip - not sure, it looks like you imported a classic save taken inside a building, or standing on top of the hedge. At this time Daggerfall Unity just plops you on the ground at the nearest exterior coordinates (which may be inside other geometry). Recommend saving games outside in a clear spot for now.
  • missingmonstersprite - not missing, that is the sprite. :) Daggerfall stipples semi-transparent objects like ghosts and spectres. I'm not doing anything special with them at the moment but will likely set them to be alpha-blended later.
  • tableglitch - should look just like that in DF as well.
  • texturelines - this one is a known sampling issue with the tilemap shader. Seems most common on lower-end GPUs (e.g. integrated Intel 4000) and AMD GPUs for some reason. Will correct this one later.
  • texturestretch - not sure on this one, but texture skews/stretches are usually bad UV alignments on the original models. If you see a texture squashed or repeated (like windows on side of a house) that one is my bug.
Thanks again for your feedback! :)

alephnaught

Post by alephnaught »

Cool beans! Re: the noclip, no original saves involved, I was just wandering around Daggerfall and walked right through a hedge, then shortly afterwards noticed that I could also walk through buildings. Didn't happen in interiors, but continued happening when I went back outside, until I reloaded a save. Maybe it was a magic hedge? ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, that one is a rarer issue where Unity mysteriously cancels out collision detection on models. Root cause unknown at this time. Lypyl has confirmed collider information is still in scene as it should be but actual physics aren't working as expected. I'm treating this one as an obscure Unity bug for now.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

LypyL wrote: The reason I think it makes sense to have it work the old way is because you typically use the map to plan a route to a location, often having to open the map a bunch of times before you get there, and it gets tedious if every time you open the map you have to reset everything in the automap to show the location you're trying to find.
did a pull request with these changes:
changed the way camera settings are preserved in 3D mode when closing and reopening the automap window (actually it is applying the camera settings relative to the new player position after player walked around). In 2D it always did this already.
not all settings are preserved though:
e.g. slice level is reset and pivot axis is always reset to player position
camera is always focusing the player after reopening the map - this is intended

I think it is a nice compromise and definitely allows for plan and check routes.

Who posted the idea with a free fly mode for automap? This is brilliant - I like the idea, but it will make the map code even more complicated - will investigate this when I find some time.
Interkarma wrote: I'm loving the new map, so much more useful than vanilla Daggerfall! Maybe just enable the wireframe or ghosted parts by default or add a toggle button for people to click on in addition to Enter key. Seriously though, it's already great. If you haven't already check out this video. Zeta gets really excited about the dungeon map. :)
thanks! Zeta missed half of the functionality^^ - so we definitely need an info/help page for the automap ;)
yeah clicking a button would be nice for switching display mode - all default buttons (except right-click on the rotate buttons) are already occupied with some functionality though (both left and right click).
I plan to use the right-click on the rotate buttons for camera rotate. Then I would change the mouse-right drag and drop behavior to make the model rotate.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Michael_TEFL wrote: Tall grass clips a little with buildings, but it does not affect the gameplay significantly :D (screen 3).
Good thing that it doesn't affect gameplay in any "significant" way. :D

It's a known issue and sadly there isn't any good solution for it. The tall grass is added during runtime, meaning as you play the game and explore the world, each time a new terrain piece loads, my grass script scans through this new terrain and adds the grass. Sadly this can't be done in the background, so as my script does it's thing, the game will essentially stop doing everything else until it's done. The good thing is that the process only takes about 0.004 seconds for each terrain piece (on my computer) so the resulting loading stutter during this process isn't very noticeable. Now, I could in theory do some sort of collision checks on the terrain to look for buildings and skip the grass placement on these locations, but it would be a very "expensive" process, meaning that the script would take a lot longer to process through the terrain, resulting in much longer stutter that would significantly (in a bad way) affect the gameplay. :(

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've released a small patch for Daggerfall Unity to 0.2.8. You can find the latest download on the standalone download page.

Patch notes for version 0.2.7:
  • Reverted minor change to terrain tilemap shader. This might fix black ground issue on older DX9 systems.
  • Implemented floating origin for Y axis to correct flickering shadows at high elevations. This still requires full testing.
  • Items imported from classic saves will have dye synced to material type at import time.
  • Settings INI now saves floats with invariant culture.
  • Update to Uncanny_Valley’s grass mod.
  • Added restart button to options UI.
  • Nystul fixed white interior textures when reflections mod enabled. Also fixes stalled fireplace animation.
  • Arrows should now always display correct inventory icon.
  • Can no longer equip arrows to hands.
  • Disabled bows until archery is implemented.
  • Can now open inventory from character window.
  • Weapon manager now resets sheathe state and equipped hand on new game / load.
Patch notes for version 0.2.8:
  • Fixed floating origin issue that would start player high in the air when exiting a building at higher altitudes.
  • Nystul fix for resetting dungeon map on new game.
Patch notes for version 0.2.9:
  • Disabled floating origin Y implementation for now to correct several issues. However, this means lighting and shadow issues at high elevations will return, particularly when using enhanced terrain mod (which has a much higher vertical scale than default terrain).
  • Camera now clears background when inside a dungeon allowing you better see within the void.
  • Lypyl: Fix for white film on travel map. New console commands to display FPS and trigger action objects.
  • Nystul: Automap camera settings now preserved when opening automap.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote: floating origin script does not seem to solve the shadow flickering in all cases. still encounter it sometimes
but the script does no longer crash me like the old one did
I managed to work out the issue why flickering shadows would return occasionally. There were also some issues with the floating Y triggering when it was supposed to. Between that and all the other problems, I'm happy to just to leave it disabled for now. Will come back it later when I can sit down and resolve all the edge cases. :)