Page 1 of 3

Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 pm
by ACNAero
When I looked at the commit for the immunity fix, I saw that above the new code was code to give Bretons 80% magic resistance. Originally I thought all advantages would be in the RaceTemplate file, but this was in a Formula file, a side effect being that it won't show up on the history tab when you click it like the advantages for Nords and High Elves will. This has me wondering:
Do all the other races have bonuses hidden in counter-intuitive places, and what specifically are they if so?
And I know the manual says stuff like "Argonians do not tire easily when swimming," but the manual is known to be unreliable, so it'd be nice to get a definitive answer from the people who reverse engineered all the code.

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:52 pm
by mikeprichard
I did just learn that DFU has apparently added that +30% modifier to Magic resist for Bretons (with all races starting at 50% for all resists by default, making Breton's total Magic resist 80% - see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2380&start=20#p27835), and would appreciate confirmation of this and maybe other "hidden" DFU racial resistance and/or other bonuses as well, but I think Interkarma may be getting tired of explaining how all this stuff is working...

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:00 pm
by Teralitha
Without knowing the exact code numbers, You can assume that argonians use less stamina when swimming, probably by 50%

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:14 pm
by Interkarma
Bretons get +30% magic resistance relative to other races. I understand this matches classic and was implemented by Allofich as part of saving throw formula a few years back now.

Khajiit receive an automatic +30 to climbing checks.

Teralitha has intuited correctly, Argonians get a reduction to fatigue while swimming, and can hold their breath longer (not quite full water breathing though).

That's all I can think of from the top of my head at 7am. :) These are baked into the formulas, not part of the race/class kits. The latter would have been a better way to do this, but the former is how Daggerfall actually does them.

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:18 pm
by mikeprichard
Never knew any of this! Yet another set of data UESP hasn't picked up on for Daggerfall, but after my extensive recent fixes to the various item pages there, I think I'll sit this one out.

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 pm
by ACNAero
Thanks Karma :D

Just for posterity and ease of reference, I'm gonna put what the racial bonuses are here.

Breton: +30% Magic Resistance
Dark Elf: Bonus Damage and Chance to Hit by (Level / 4)
High Elf: Paralysis Immunity
Nord: +30% Frost Resistance
Redguard: Bonus Damage and Chance to Hit by (Level / 3)
Wood Elf: Bonus Damage and Chance to Hit for Archery by (Level / 3)

Argonians and Khajiit I couldn't find the code for, but I'll trust IK's statements and assume the code might be elsewhere. Or maybe I just couldn't think of the right keywords to find it with ctrl+f.

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:21 pm
by mikeprichard
ACNAero wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 pm
Nord: +30% Frost Resistance
I thought Nords got the standard +25% racial frost "Resistance"? Or is there proof in the code that it's in fact +30% instead of/in addition to that 25?

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:28 pm
by ACNAero
mikeprichard wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:21 pm
ACNAero wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 pm
Nord: +30% Frost Resistance
I thought Nords got the standard +25% racial frost "Resistance"? Or is there proof in the code that it's in fact +30% instead of/in addition to that 25?
Yeah, check this link, hit control+f, and type in "nord"
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... aHelper.cs

My working guess is that the two advantages in RaceTemplate are mainly there for show/to be in the History tab.

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:28 pm
by Ommamar
D

Re: Racial traits question

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 pm
by mikeprichard
Thanks, ACNAero... so much missing/incorrect information on UESP. I give up. :lol:

At the risk of annoying Interkarma after my many, many, many posts trying to understand resistance interactions elsewhere - how would this "special" Breton magic resistance and Nord frost resistance of +30% interact with class advantages relating to resistance? E.g. if a Nord, starting at base 50% frost resist + special 30% frost resist, then took the class advantage "Resistance to frost" conferring an additional +25% frost resist, would these all sum like any other resistances to 50+30+25 = 105% total resistance, making the Nord completely immune to frost damage?