Promotion period of 30 days

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Promotion period of 30 days

Post by Ommamar »

So I just heard someone say, in a lets play I am watching, that you can only be promoted once every 30 days, is this correct? Is it guild specific or one promotion for every 30 days?

pango

Re: Promotion period of 30 days

Post by pango »

Ranks are only reevaluated after 28 days, yes.
So beside having a good enough reputation with the guild and two good enough skills among the skills the guild cares about, sometimes ranking up also requires some waiting...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Thanks Jay. I think that explains what might be going on with one of my builds he has done the take this worthless item and exchange it for the stolen item quest 5 or 6 times getting him a reputation of 32 with the guild according to the affiliation tab. But has never gotten any rank I think it is because they where all short 1-2 day quests so he hasn't been evaluated. I will have to have him go do a longer quest for another faction and maybe he will have a promotion when he gets back from it.

pango

Post by pango »

You can actually skip some ranks when ranking up, so up to you to increase your reputation further with the same guild or start improving your reputation with another, which is not a bad idea.
It's usually okay to skip ranks, access to guild services being cumulative. The only counter example I can think of are knightly orders, that give you one piece of armor for each rank, so if you skip a rank you skip a piece of armor...
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

pango wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:24 pm You can actually skip some ranks when ranking up, so up to you to increase your reputation further with the same guild or start improving your reputation with another, which is not a bad idea.
It's usually okay to skip ranks, access to guild services being cumulative. The only counter example I can think of are knightly orders, that give you one piece of armor for each rank, so if you skip a rank you skip a piece of armor...
That is a nice feature of knightly orders but I can't imagine someone being dependent on them for armor especially since a lot of their quest send you into dungeons where you can often get plenty of armor. It would be a way to role play I guess, only use the armor your order gives you. Generally I take gauntlets as they seem to be the most rare piece to drop.

I didn't know that they skipped the lower ranks if you had a high reputation, it doesn't hurt as you said each rank includes the benefit of the one below. Are the different types weighed differently? UESP states each completion gives a +5 boost to the reputation which might or might not be correct. If it is and your goal is to rank reputation up quickly then it would be better to take easier/shorter quests like cast sleep, cast open, guard a guild, take an item here or bring an item back, go kill rats or animal in a house. This would make guild rank much slower in a knightly order as their quests all seem to involve delving into dungeons.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Hmm I've never tried joining a guild and doing its quests in a tiny region.
That means that if you meet the skill requirements and every quests takes 1-2 days to do, you could get a reputation of around 70 in 28 days. Going from Apprentice to Champion in the Fighters Guild, for instance. :lol:

I like the fact that you need to wait to get a promotion. It allows you to dedicate your time to other activities, or work on the main quest.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The big barrier for most characters is skill. When I was younger, I used to do like 50 quests for the Mages Guild and never understood why I never went up in rank... Not understanding that my 40~ in magic skills wasn't enough :lol:

pango

Post by pango »

Same here. If you don't read about the mechanics, or better yet watch somebody (that knows what (s)he's doing) play, then some mechanics are too opaque to be just guessed.
-- Charles Goodhart