All about that range

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

All about that range

Post by Ommamar »

So just finished a quest that had a bear behind a curtain, I could turn the curtains to better see him but I couldn't get into the space and he couldn't get out. I couldn't hit with the sword I had but he could hit me, the only way I was able to complete is I happened to have a magic item with a shock spell. The moral of the story is always carry a bow or have a range spell even if neither is your main focus. Here is the save it occurred in:
Attachments
SAVE31.zip
(316.48 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

pango

Re: All about that range

Post by pango »

The same kind of asymmetry seems to happen with cages (monsters inside can hit you at melee range, but hitting them is very difficult... @Jay_H demonstrated it's possible, it still feels very difficult).

If I remember sometimes your quest target will be in cage, so it seems necessary that you can hurt stuff in cage, no matter your class abilities...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

pango wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am The same kind of asymmetry seems to happen with cages (monsters inside can hit you at melee range, but hitting them is very difficult... @Jay_H demonstrated it's possible, it still feels very difficult).

If I remember sometimes your quest target will be in cage, so it seems necessary that you can hurt stuff in cage, no matter your class abilities...
I haven't had a quest target in a cage but I do agree they are very difficult to hit with melee attack while they seem to have no problem. First time I had seen the quest target suck behind banners like that where I couldn't hit them with a sword.

pango

Post by pango »

The only workaround I've found (thanks to some info from Jay_H), is to get thru bars by crouching, then to kill the enemy at very close range...
Only feels like a workaround though
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I think lowering the radius of attack sphere cast is about all we can do here.

My initial implementation used skinny little rays, but you had to be too precise with aiming. A sphere cast gives the player a bit more directional bandwidth at the expense of being more easily blocked by surrounding geometry.

Maybe a sphere cast followed by a narrow ray test will allow for best of both worlds. I'll play with this later.

pango

Post by pango »

It can be difficult to shoot arrows thru doors too, I guess this is a similar issue...
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, same with touch spells having difficult collision. I've stashed these issues together in my head for a broad review at some point.