Who here has finished this game?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Madae

Who here has finished this game?

Post by Madae »

*without cheating of any kind (walkthroughs and such). Not talking about Unity, just Daggerfall in general. I was fairly young when it was released and I never really got that far in it. Mostly just ran around and did my own thing. It was already pretty unstable for me back then, and I usually got irritated with that and gave up after a certain point. Now with Unity and the game running like a dream, I'm determined to finish it, but the more I play it, the more I wonder how anyone could have possibly completed it without looking things up, some hints or even cheating to find quest items. It's just not very intuitive, and I imagine a lot of trial and error would have had to go into it... and some serious dedication. So, who did it legit?

Anyway, just curious. Still hate a lot of the dungeon designs, and after 40 minutes of running in circles, I'm compelled to just port to the objective and save my sanity. The werewolf dungeon had me laughing out loud when I found out where he was, too... I manage to complete a few, but others have me bored to tears trying to figure them out.
Last edited by Madae on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Re: Who here has finished this game?

Post by Jay_H »

If you mean without a walkthrough, I think you can count the number of people in the world on two hands :lol:

I beat it a few times with a walkthrough, but to me the main quest was never the main attraction. It was just to enter this huge, new world and get lost in it...

Madae

Post by Madae »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 pm If you mean without a walkthrough, I think you can count the number of people in the world on two hands :lol:

I beat it a few times with a walkthrough, but to me the main quest was never the main attraction. It was just to enter this huge, new world and get lost in it...
Yeah, that's what I mean pretty much. Rather than follow the directions on the wiki or some map, when I get tired of trying to find a way through a massive dungeon, I just teleport to the item with the console command and then try to find my way out and connect to places I've already explored. I'm usually surprised at how it works, because it was in some totally near-unreachable place that I would have never thought to get to, or ends up being another massive network outside of the already explored area, and sometimes behind a secret door even, and that just cracks me up and makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

But at least I'm not the only one that feels this way. I normally don't like cheating in anything, but this is probably the only game I've ever played where I feel totally justified in doing it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Not me, still trying to avoid spoilers in fact. lol

So, no not even read this thread - just the title.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I have finished it.. I think the year was cca 1997?

Yes it crashed. Sometimes it was very hard to progress because of that, but I always found a way. I played it with my friend. 3 months every day basically. I was 13yo I think. And we played at our flat.. my parrents hated it :D

No walkthru. And I was hardly able to speak english. I have NO idea how I solved that Mantellan Crux riddle where u need to answer by typing some word.. but I did that.

It was like a life in another dimension. We both agreed this is the best game EVER and I still think so.

At the end, we bought a house ingame. Sit there. Turn the game off.... and that was it. Finished.

It was just way too epic.

Just imagine.. I never realized I can cast anchor and teleport back to dung entrance..

I had some problems with nobility.. maybe because sometimes we killed EVERYONE on some abandoned farm. And we stole a lot!

So the nobility just did not even spoke to us, and thats game over. But we managed to turn them back on our side somehow! Than we were able to continue the main quest.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I have not although I got a fair bit into the main quest the issues the game had with performance really killed it for me so I would stop playing. I had a friend who did but he used cheats and guides to get through it. I hope to finish it now that it has been ported to Unity.

Feiros

Post by Feiros »

The main quest structure is way too brittle for that.

You can quite literally lose 80 hours of progress and gameplay just because you didn't notice a courier letter in your inventory, and without even a hint that the main quest is now irreversibly botched! Pure evil situation right there.

I love finishing games on my own, without using glitches and walkthroughs for my advantage but Daggerfall is one of the few exceptions.

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

At least 7 times since release, and will be starting #8 when I finish configuring the new game box and get all the games downloaded again. So at least a couple of weeks, probably. That doesn't include all the time I spent void rangering, hee hee.

Zomgmeister

Post by Zomgmeister »

I did, in 97. Had no internet access back then. Got a patch via friend's computer, then it became possible. And crashes never bothered me too much, because it was Windows 95 time.

pango

Post by pango »

TL;DR: I completed it only relatively recently, with external help. And I should have read documentation.

I only played Daggerfall late. I remember watching a friend play Arena back in the day, but in '96 I had just switched to Linux as my main OS so I was totally oblivious of MS-DOS and Windows games at the time.
That's when I remembered about Arena that I found out about Daggerfall (given I had enough free time I guess it was before 2007, but I'm not sure of the year). I wanted to play the games in order so I started with Arena, but played maybe 1/3 of main quest. It was getting too repetitive, and when I tried Daggerfall there was no turning back.
I played without documentation, only my knowledge of Arena, so some mechanics (like guilds ranking up) limited my progress. I didn't get how casting works, probably because I never selected any increased magery advantage. So I think I only did the first main quest (Concern for Nulfaga) on my own.
That's only years later again that I stumbled upon Grimmith runs and that it unlocked many mechanics for me. I started a new character, and when I was totally stuck on the main quest I'd go watch some more of one of his runs (I think I used the "Linguist" playthru) until I finished the main quest for the first time, most likely in 2017.
I since then completed the main quest again using Daggerfall Unity, but I remembered it well enough so it wasn't a huge challenge anymore.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart