Who here has finished this game?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Decrepit DaggerFan

Re: Who here has finished this game?

Post by Decrepit DaggerFan »

Been playing DF off-and-on since it was new and shiny. In all that time I never quite finished its main quest. Came relatively close my first play-through. Would likely have completed it then but became hooked on the then new MMO genre, first Meridian59, followed by Everquest 1 & 2. Pretty much abandoned single-player games for a number of years. TES4: Oblivion ended my love affair with MMOs during 2009, though I'd been dissatisfied with them for some time at that point. My most recent, current play-through sees me closer to completing the MQ than ever before, lacking only its final 'dungeon.' It's been like that over half a year. Am in no great rush (obviously).

I just recently transferred this play-through into Unity. Am happy to report all went well, the only setback being losing my avatar's Daggerfall City house, full of valuable loot. (As his bank account survives intact, he's not hurting for funds.)

As to 'cheats,' I admit to using a grand total of 'one' during the main quest this go round. It's the quest where we must position levers on multi levels to open a passage to our objective. This was never my strong suit, even back in 1996/7. I'm in my late sixties now, and can't keep focus long enough to figure it out. Looked up the solution with no regrets.

I occasionally use "[" and "]" to cycle through dungeon quest-item locations, but only after I've been at it hours on end, and seem to have cleared the entire dungeon without finding what I need. My normal procedure is to give the 'item' room a quick scan, then reload the save. I still have to find that room old fashion way. I just wanna make sure it isn't housed in an unreachable location or simply not there at all.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

DF is my favourite RPG ever, hundreds and hundreds of hours, but have never actually "beaten" the game largely due to each time the main quest bugs out or the game itself bugs out and becomes slow to a crawl then I just restart. Now with DFU, when 1.0 finally arrives, I'll beat this game for my first time.

biz633

Post by biz633 »

About every other year since it released I come back to this game, build a character, reach level 30 and then play and beat the main story. I use the official strategy guide I bought way back then, but that's part of the fun of it.

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Hmmm, I can't remember exactly when I beat this game. I played it close to my junior and/or senior year of highschool (around 1996 or 1997) I was also playing Might & Magic World of Xeen at that point. (Clouds + Darkside) off the trilogy CD (MM3, 4, and 5 + swords of xeen). Ah, Win98......I don't miss ye.

I think I remembered buying it at a Media Center store for my birthday (who remembers those!?). I do remember loading the whole game to the HDD so I wouldn't have to leave the cd in, and using the bugfix patch. (I do also still remember many instances of falling into the void after climbing one of the steep ramp sections in a dungeon.) Now that someone mentioned it, I may have used the brackets to cycle locations for the procedural quests, but not before spending a good few hours wandering around trying to find the location. The only other one I used was to reveal all locations on the travel map.

I won't spoil it, but even being at high school and taking honors english courses, I found the last area(s) of the game, and that last dungeon to be fairly abstract and confusing. (though not as bad as Hythloth in Ultima 9 Ascension....ugh that game had so much lost potential) Or maybe it was just the game's system of telling the story/interacting with the story that was confusing to me. I don't quite remember, and I haven't played it a whole lot since then except for DFU.

Oh, and I do remember hating dealing with the liches as they had a spell or attack that basically insta-gibbed my character. Not a projectile or spell, couldn't even see an animation for it. Just audio event, and dead.

And now that we're pretty much out of pre-Alpha, I think it's as good a time as any to start playing the game "for realz"

I do temper my nostalgia, though. While I liked the original game and played it quite a lot (hey, it was the most daring concept of it's kind out in those years) I wouldn't call it my favorite RPG of that period. But it was definitely up there and got me hooked on TES in general as I got Battlespire and later, Redguard when I was in my first year or two of college. Though, I had a potato for a computer, and didn't have a Voodoo 3DFX card at the time (remember those!?)

Shit I'm getting old.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman