Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Jay_H »

If anyone has time, I'd request help with the Console page. It's not hard work, it's just a lot to do. The first column can be a copy-paste of the command, but the second should be very user-friendly and readable. The third column is a valid example of the console command in action.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Console is taking form now thanks to Deepfighter's help, and a new priority IMO is the settings page. I've created it and given it structure.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Well, I went in and finished it myself :) So bugs fixed and gameplay differences are still important sections to fill out, I think.

Lywzc

DFU references in UESP

Post by Lywzc »

I plan to add DFU references in UESP pages.

For example, in bug sections, if this bug is not present in DFU, I will note it, like this: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:ClassMaker#Bugs.

If there are differences between DFU and Classic on the same subject, I will add it as a note.

New features added by DFU will not be noted.

This way people can refer to the wiki more seamlessly without having to check for a seperate page for changes. Any thoughts?

Jay_H

Re: DFU references in UESP

Post by Jay_H »

AFAIK, our current setup is to keep DFU and DF separate on the wiki. The DF pages are for Daggerfall classic, and any deviations from them are to be listed on the DFU Wiki. I don't recall precisely how we came to that arrangement at this moment, but I'm sure our resident wiki experts like Azteca and mikepritchard will have more info that I don't remember.

Deepfighter

Re: DFU references in UESP

Post by Deepfighter »

Furthermore to Jay's comment I would be hesitant until DF Unity is in his final stages. Even though it doesn't look like it as it works already very stable - DF Unity is still alpha and therefore WIP. Whatever you add now can always be reverted or changed until the final version arrives. That's one of the reasons why we are building right now primarily our own space, which still needs a lot of work. We are still at the beginning and do need every helping hand we can get. :)

What I can think of is putting the information you want to fill in on the classic pages on a separate page (own sandbox or in already available). And if DF Unity reaches final we can go from there and add these on the corresponding pages.

The way, how we add these information to make them distinguishable from Classic isn't discussed on yet, but will be in timely manner.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

What I'm suggesting is to add those information in Unofficial Patch's manner.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Just checking in briefly, but I also humbly suggest/request that you please don't note "DFU" bugfixes in the classic Daggerfall wiki pages, and please revert any such changes you recently made (i.e. most of the recent changes listed at https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:Contributions/Lywzc); these classic pages should logically be restricted to classic behavior and classic patches, as DFU is an entirely separate engine with its own documentation. The dedicated DFU wiki pages linked by Jay_H are the more appropriate place to describe DFU-specific changes and bugfixes. However, it's of course great that you're taking the initiative to update wiki information! Jay_H here is the guru for you to consult on changes to DFU wiki information.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

I disagree with the suggestion or the request.

The wiki is to provide information conveniently, not to fragement it. You are not going to copy all the pages from Classic to DFU, so people will have to first consult Classic page then check DFU page for any differences or if the bugs have been fixed. As the DFU become more and more complete, we can see that most people play Daggerfall will play it using DFU not classic. By putting DFU information on the Classic page people can consult the wiki more conveniently rather than have to switch between pages.

And although DFU is recreation of Classic, they behave almost the same. That's important as player will mostly not care about the inside of the game, they only care how they behave. If it is the same game on different platforms, their code will be different but they behave almost the same so they will be placed on the same wiki pages.

I think DFU deserves separate pages but I don't think it can not be at the same time added to Classic pages.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I disagree with the disagreement. :lol: People checking the classic Daggerfall pages may not necessarily know what your references to "DFU" represent, or (though I also think this will be increasingly a minority of players) even care. But of course this is a community effort, so do what you think is best. My main concern is simply that any information added to the wiki pages (DFU and/or classic) is accurate and based on reverse-engineered code and/or in-game testing, as appropriate. Thanks again, and good luck.