Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Jay_H »

They assigned us the spot TES2Mod:Daggerfall Unity, so being buried is currently part of the package. Altering the TESMod page to show a link directly to TES2Mod is something I think is in the works now, but that still leaves us next to DaggerXL and Andyfall.

The agility thing is from my own experimenting. However things were coded originally, in practice DF had some quirks that I dug out through many repetitions, summarized in the Mechanics thread:
Weapon skills overwhelmingly determine hit rate.
Strength between 1 and 50 negatively alters hit rate. Strength between 50 and 100 does not alter hit rate.
Agility is inconclusive but appears to have no impact on to-hit.
Adrenaline Rush has no impact on to-hit.
Bonus to Hit [TYPE] has no impact on to-hit.
Phobia has no impact on to-hit.
Weapon Expertise has no impact on to-hit.
Athleticism has no impact on to-hit.
Some of those were more thoroughly tested than others. You can find spreadsheets of my experiences on posts like this one.

Thanks for the suggestion about the high elves; I moved that section ;)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

That's a real shame on the page placement... hopefully this changes down the road. As for the mechanics, thanks for the notes; would be interesting if we could confirm in the reverse-engineered code that in classic, Strength between 1 and 50 actually reduces hit rate; I'd never heard that before! Another question related to classic to-hit mechanics is whether weapon material in classic and/or DFU actually is factored into the hit chance calculation, which I don't see mentioned in your notes - see Interkarma's notes here, second paragraph of his linked post (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2300&p=26938&hilit= ... ger#p26931).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, weapon material was a deficiency in my testing. Hitting the same enemy, over and over, hundreds of times was incredibly demoralizing so I didn't expand on that :lol: It's also hard to find one single enemy that qualifies equally for all tests; a human warrior might have very high armor, so if you use a low-damage weapon, it might look like you failed the combat roll, but you succeeded and it's doing no damage.

Then again, the save file is still there so I or anyone else could go back and try it again.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yeah, that kind of testing can get pretty tedious after a while!

Also re: the wiki, I think you've already noticed, but I've been occasionally stealth-updating the Google doc Azteca shared earlier (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hYh ... xj47dm1d6p), particularly the section "Differences from classic", as I find time and notice/remember any QoL changes/added features unique to DFU that aren't already clear from the DFU in-game option screens. I just added a couple notes on the recent rest/loiter UI changes now, in fact. It appears from your ongoing edits to that section that you are pulling from that list as a source for the new DFU differences wiki page, then removing the items from the doc that have been transferred to the wiki, which is great, but please let me know if there's another way you'd like me to keep this up - or if you just want me to stop. :)

And one more thought - would it be possible to sticky a locked topic on one of the boards here linking directly to the DFU wiki pages on UESP? I know you've got the link in your signature even, but nobody's going to find them otherwise... :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, good point. We'll want to strike out what we've already added to the wiki rather than deleting it outright, since we might start duplicating content after enough time. Other than that I think it's excellent.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I again scanned the old topic here, which has in the first post plenty of useful material for the new wiki DFU-vs.-classic "Gameplay Differences" page: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1662. (E.g. the huge list of classic bugfixes, local map view changes, region map search improvements, journal enhancements, etc.) I know it's going to take time to gradually update the wiki with this stuff, but hopefully that new UESP page will become the complete and definitive source for differences between classic and DFU, as I mentioned earlier. Thanks again to Deepfighter, Jay_H, and Azteca for making this happen!

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I was hoping to get the Mods for Daggerfall Quickstart Guide on the Wiki. The purpose of creating the guide is to make something that is not directly tied to the DFWorkshop forums. The sample HTML code I created can be modified to suit any website. The Guide automatically updates after being edited. Right now this is in the experimental stage but I'm hoping it will improve. You can read more about the Guide in this tread.

I should point out that none of the external links open a new tab so it's necessary to right click the links that connect to the DFU forum topics in order for them to display correctly. This is a limitation of google docs and does not currently have a good work around. Right clicking an external link an choosing open in a new tab seems the best solution.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

mikeprichard wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm More importantly, although I don't know if the folks at UESP would be on board with this, I suggest that the DFU pages should be located in a much more prominent position on the main UESP page, given that practically anyone interested in Daggerfall content going forward (and I don't think that's an exaggeration) will be looking for DFU info specifically. E.g. something on the order of placing the main DFU page link on the left side of the UESP page as a direct subset of "Daggerfall" instead of buried under the misleading tag "Mods". If something like this isn't done, I think the wiki's general usefulness is going to be very much reduced.
Jay_H wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:36 pm They assigned us the spot TES2Mod:Daggerfall Unity, so being buried is currently part of the package. Altering the TESMod page to show a link directly to TES2Mod is something I think is in the works now, but that still leaves us next to DaggerXL and Andyfall.
I don't really believe that will happen and honestly, I don't know why it should. :)

Daggerfall Unity is no replacement for Classic Daggerfall, which is more or less completely integrated in Daggerfall Unity, besides some changes and the possibility to add mods more easily. We can't just pretend there was never a Daggerfall before DF Unity (you didn't say that, just exaggerating a bit :) ). For a lot of DF Unity information - content-wise - you have to look into Classic Daggerfall pages, which was one of the main reasons the UESP platform come in handy for us. These pages therefore have to be fleshed out, fixed and added with DF Unity information where needed. We won't create new classic quest pages where we only add DF Unity information, or?

I thought our idea would be to show differences of Classic and Unity, help in answering common questions and record what's new. If there is the need, people can search specifically in the Tes2Mod namespace. If we promote that prominently, everybody will find what he is looking for. You can't tell me that people will go through the menu structure anyway. ;) They will go straight to the search bar. If they e.g. type "daggerfall unity agility" they will be exactly redirected to the page with the information. No need to worry, that the information will be "buried" somewhere. :)

I agree. that the word "mod" is quite debatable for DF Unity, but it's nothing people will prevent from looking for information as it doesn't matter for them where to find them and if its called mods, remake or whatever. Of course as it grows we may ask and there may be a possibility for switching it to the left bar, but I wouldn't count on it. At least not in the current state, but hey, let us see how this evolves.

I understand your fear, but I don't think it will have a real impact in any case for the information we want to provide there. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Deepfighter wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 am For a lot of DF Unity information - content-wise - you have to look into Classic Daggerfall pages, which was one of the main reasons the UESP platform come in handy for us. These pages therefore have to be fleshed out, fixed and added with DF Unity information where needed. We won't create new classic quest pages where we only add DF Unity information, or?
Yes, this all is exactly what I've been saying myself all along! However, I only hope we can get visibility for where the DFU-centric pages are located, which I still don't think is ideal currently, but the important thing for the time being is the pages now exist, thanks to your help. :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

FYI, I just took a quick look at the DFU UESP "Gameplay Differences" page, and made some corrections to the "Equipment" section (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes2Mod:Dagger ... #Equipment). As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to be pretty quiet on the forums for a few weeks, but I can see the new DFU pages are really shaping up. Great work, all!