Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 4886
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Interkarma » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi guys, I love the initiative, but I'm not willing to host and maintain another web site. This all incurs actual expense for me, and a time cost to maintain.

User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 2840
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Jay_H » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:29 pm

No problem then. If it's all right, we can look for remote hosting and maintain it on our own.
ON HIATUS. Will be difficult to find.
Come join the Unofficial Daggerfall Unity Discord.
See the Daggerfall Unity Wiki on the UESP.

User avatar
Azteca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Azteca » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:38 pm

Interkarma wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:27 pm
Hi guys, I love the initiative, but I'm not willing to host and maintain another web site. This all incurs actual expense for me, and a time cost to maintain.
Completely understandable. Thanks for letting us know.
Jay_H wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 pm
Until Interkarma posts on whether he'd host the wiki, we can divide our ideas into free (remote hosting) and non-free (hosted on DFWorkshop). What would be the best wiki system for each case?
So I asked some knowledgeable internet friends and they mentioned several platforms that cost $.

This is not the sleekest option but it is free and functional. Wikidot.
Here it is in action:
http://wiki.duckfeed.tv/fallout-3
http://wiki.duckfeed.tv/abject-suffering

https://www.wikidot.com/plans

Free! I think this is our best defense against it going down as people's time commitment and interest ebb and flow. I'd hate to create a wiki that requires money and have it go offline when someone goes AWOL.
If people are going to give money, I think it should go to Interkarma for the main site, not a reference site.

So I can create a Wikidot wiki and start poking around. I have an acquaintance who works on a Wikidot wiki who can provide some guidance. Does this sound agreeable?
Last edited by Azteca on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Deepfighter
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Iliac-Bay
Contact:

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Deepfighter » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Why not use the wiki functionality of GitHub? Free and we have all accounts there anyway for bug reports and stuff.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 2840
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Jay_H » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:41 pm

No objection from me. Wikidot says it's free only for high quality, approved sites... I don't know what that means but if you clear the bar, then sure.
ON HIATUS. Will be difficult to find.
Come join the Unofficial Daggerfall Unity Discord.
See the Daggerfall Unity Wiki on the UESP.

User avatar
Azteca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Azteca » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:49 pm

Deepfighter wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 pm
Why not use the wiki functionality of GitHub? Free and we have all accounts there anyway for bug reports and stuff.
This is a sensible proposal. Not all of us have GitHub accounts but it's no trouble to register. I'm not sure how it scales with a larger number of pages. I also don't love the UI. But you don't have to worry about hosting and anyone can clone it should it need to change hands.
My initial searching does not show support for footnotes which I consider a very basic and necessary function of a Wiki.
I'm open to Github but it does seem more complex as Github generally assumes a higher level of technical knowledge and willingness to read documentation.
If you have any experience with Github as a wiki platform, please weigh in.
I'll hold off on any action while we discuss this.

User avatar
Deepfighter
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Iliac-Bay
Contact:

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Deepfighter » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Well, personally no experience with the Wiki functionality of GitHub, but I wanted to throw that into the discussion as a free alternative. Pro, we do not need another platform, instead have the source and the documentation at one place. Not sure but I believe there is a footnote feature implementable. We would have to check that beforehand of course and your other points are also very valid. :)

Another alternative which comes to my mind is https://readthedocs.org/, which is often used for other software projects.

I am an administrator of a German TES lore wiki which is based on Mediawiki, which brings me to the idea - why not ask if UESP makes a new namespace for daggerfall unity? They did that for tamriel rebuilt, too. The advantage, all features of a full fletched wiki and the knowledge and interwiki-linking possibility within the largest(?) Daggerfall information database. If they say no, we can always try to do something on our own. Any thoughts? :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

User avatar
Azteca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Azteca » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:12 am

Deepfighter wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Well, personally no experience with the Wiki functionality of GitHub, but I wanted to throw that into the discussion as a free alternative. Pro, we do not need another platform, instead have the source and the documentation at one place. Not sure but I believe there is a footnote feature implementable. We would have to check that beforehand of course and your other points are also very valid. :)

Another alternative which comes to my mind is https://readthedocs.org/, which is often used for other software projects.

I am an administrator of a German TES lore wiki which is based on Mediawiki, which brings me to the idea - why not ask if UESP makes a new namespace for daggerfall unity? They did that for tamriel rebuilt, too. The advantage, all features of a full fletched wiki and the knowledge and interwiki-linking possibility within the largest(?) Daggerfall information database. If they say no, we can always try to do something on our own. Any thoughts? :)
Thanks for your response.
I talked to some people and Github doesn't make much sense as a community wiki. You can't edit the page on the page (which is really what makes a wiki!) and the free plan limits the number of collaborators to a very small number.

Read the Docs is interesting but requires Github and a level of technicality I would like to avoid.

Asking UESP is a fantastic idea! I have no idea if they would say yes but there is no harm in asking.
In the meantime, I will start up the Wikidot version and we can plan out what the most urgently needed pages are. Any planning or writing can easily be transferred to the UESP-hosted wiki if they were to agree.

User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 2840
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Jay_H » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:23 am

I did the UESP question. We'll see what they say: https://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40821

In the meantime, I've opened a channel for the DFU wiki on Discord, in case anyone prefers that format.
ON HIATUS. Will be difficult to find.
Come join the Unofficial Daggerfall Unity Discord.
See the Daggerfall Unity Wiki on the UESP.

User avatar
Azteca
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 am

Re: Daggerfall Unity Wiki

Post by Azteca » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:42 am

Yes, if you would like to participate in wiki planning or writing, please PM me or join the Discord. I do not normally use Discord but I think it could be useful for having a more focused conversation in semi-private.

Post Reply