The Master a Skill mechanic is confusing.

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
BansheeXYZ

Re: The Master a Skill mechanic is confusing.

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:20 pm How about restricting max skill % to your attributes? For example, if you have 60 strength, your max Axe, Blunt, Climbing and Jumping skill is 60%. Possibly with a raised max for primary and major skills. So primary skills had a roof of attribute+20 and major had attribute+10, for example.
So the OP is confused because there's a tiny, almost inconsequential hidden cap not explained anywhere ingame, and your solution is a bigger hidden cap not explained anywhere ingame?

R3D3-1

Post by R3D3-1 »

Edit. Never mind. I probably misremembered and raised Alteration to 100 after Mercantile. Then it would simply be a matter of "accidental rule abuse".

Is the intended behavior as stated in this thread still? I have been seeing behavior that is at odds with both my understanding of the code and the description here.

Code: PlayerEntity.cs:1380

Code: Select all

if (skills.GetPermanentSkillValue(i) < 100 && (skills.GetPermanentSkillValue(i) < 95 || !AlreadyMasteredASkill()))
My understanding: Once one primary skill has hit 100%, no other skill can be raised beyond 95.

My experience:
  • Decided to power-level my starter spells in the starter dungeon, causing first Illusion (Major skill), then Alteration (Primary skill) to hit 100.
  • Power-leveled mercantile*, reached skill level 100.
  • Tried to level destruction, became suspicious of the lack of skill increases, and found out about the 95 rule.
According to the stated rules, and the implementation of RaiseSkills() I should never have been able to raise Mercantile to 100.

Last edited by R3D3-1 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ulmont

Post by ulmont »

I just ran into this mechanic...I had been surprised that I was able to raise several skills (minor and miscellaneous magical school skills) above 100, but as soon as I hit 100 in a primary skill I got the notice and was locked at 95 (or the existing 96, 100, etc.).

It's a really weird mechanic; is this how OG did it, only locking down after a primary skill hit 100?