Daggerfall Roguelike: Join In

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Gray Fox

Re: Daggerfall Roguelike: Join In

Post by Gray Fox »

theJF wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:27 pm Forbidding weapon repair is just getting vindictive now - don't take away my ebony dagger!

Jay informed me that the ironman mod automatically keeps a save from the very start so you re-start without having to go through the entire creation again. Which is very nice.
In true Ironman, when your character dies, you start over with a new character. My character Bretana died in a trapped hallway and I started Almalexia with a different build. If "Daggerfall is too easy", maybe it's because you make it so. Lexi got a quest and I couldn't find the target. So she failed that quest (but got a crapload of loot and leveled twice), however, I didn't reload. I RPed that the MG got the intel wrong. That is the only quest she has failed, because I allowed myself to make mistakes so that I could learn from them. I've watched the videos and witnessed the enjoyment you are experiencing with Rogue playstyle. That fun was always there.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:57 pm
Ommamar wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:25 pm If you are going to disallow hand-to-hand because of the material bonus and not needing to find any equipment to support it then the ebony dagger selection at character creation should be disallowed.
There's a no repair rule, and the Ebony Dagger breaks really fast. Skilling into Short Blade just for that is a double-edged sword; you'll have it easy for awhile with your Disc One Nuke, but once it breaks, you'll probably be swinging around a Steel Wakizashi for a looooong time. These are all questions of strategy! :D

I have a new video to upload:

Gray Fox wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:36 pm
theJF wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:27 pm Forbidding weapon repair is just getting vindictive now - don't take away my ebony dagger!

Jay informed me that the ironman mod automatically keeps a save from the very start so you re-start without having to go through the entire creation again. Which is very nice.
In true Ironman, when your character dies, you start over with a new character. My character Bretana died in a trapped hallway and I started Almalexia with a different build. If "Daggerfall is too easy", maybe it's because you make it so. Lexi got a quest and I couldn't find the target. So she failed that quest (but got a crapload of loot and leveled twice), however, I didn't reload. I RPed that the MG got the intel wrong. That is the only quest she has failed, because I allowed myself to make mistakes so that I could learn from them. I've watched the videos and witnessed the enjoyment you are experiencing with Rogue playstyle. That fun was always there.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ommamar wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:05 pm Yah but it does give you a material advantage if used sparingly as in when you run across a enemy that has the material threshold. It might be difficult but what about getting to the mage guild level where you can enchant a repair item or if you get lucky enough to find one (never seen it but doesn't mean it isn't possible). Since it would essentially be a part of the character build would you accept it even though it gives an obvious advantage?
Repairing is forbidden, so making an item that repairs is still forbidden :geek: Sure, you can take the Ebony Dagger. Hand-to-Hand is completely unfair, whereas the Ebony Dagger is just a large, but temporary, advantage.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm going to upload the character I've been using, since it's a fairly good build to survive on. Perhaps that'll motivate some others to give it a shot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TB5fyh ... sp=sharing

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

It's so cool to see that this is a thing. The next release of Ironman will contain another mod called "Ironman Game Systems" that adds a number of optional changes. Particularly relevant to this run will be that hand-to-hand will (optionally) require gloves (when punching) and boots (when kicking) of sufficient material to hit relevant enemies. For example, you'll need silver gauntlets to punch a werewolf. At that point, I'm sure Jay could allow for hand-to-hand to be used in this run.

It would be good if someone made cloth, light armor, and chain armor with different materials to support our non-plate hand-to-hand users.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

DFIronman wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 pmParticularly relevant to this run will be that hand-to-hand will (optionally) require gloves (when punching) and boots (when kicking) of sufficient material to hit relevant enemies. For example, you'll need silver gauntlets to punch a werewolf. At that point, I'm sure Jay could allow for hand-to-hand to be used in this run.
Oh, that's brilliant. There's the question of gloves degrading with punching use. If that could happen, then I would 100% change the rule.

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:28 pm
DFIronman wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 pmParticularly relevant to this run will be that hand-to-hand will (optionally) require gloves (when punching) and boots (when kicking) of sufficient material to hit relevant enemies. For example, you'll need silver gauntlets to punch a werewolf. At that point, I'm sure Jay could allow for hand-to-hand to be used in this run.
Oh, that's brilliant. There's the question of gloves degrading with punching use. If that could happen, then I would 100% change the rule.
Did this a couple of versions ago; just forgot to update you here.