Can't swing weapon

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
SusuKacangSoya

Can't swing weapon

Post by SusuKacangSoya »

Is attacking still unimplemented?

Interkarma

Re: Can't swing weapon

Post by Interkarma »

Hi SusuKacangSoya, welcome to the forums. Attacking is implemented and works just like Daggerfall: hold down the right button and drag mouse either horizontally, diagonally, or vertically for different attacks. Depending on the sensitivity of your mouse, you may wish to tune the attack settings in .ini file to your preferences (see manual).

It's likely I will implement an alternate attack method at some point. This has been one of the most common problems people encounter in Daggerfall as it works so differently from any other game.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Hi SusuKacangSoya, welcome to the forums. Attacking is implemented and works just like Daggerfall: hold down the right button and drag mouse either horizontally, diagonally, or vertically for different attacks. Depending on the sensitivity of your mouse, you may wish to tune the attack settings in .ini file to your preferences (see manual).

It's likely I will implement an alternate attack method at some point. This has been one of the most common problems people encounter in Daggerfall as it works so differently from any other game.
Also, IMo, better than any other game of this type. :)

The alternative is that the computer determines how you swing, after all. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote:
Interkarma wrote: Also, IMo, better than any other game of this type. :)

Agreed, and that alternative would be totally optional of course. :) It won't be on my radar for a while though.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:
Narf the Mouse wrote:
Interkarma wrote: Also, IMo, better than any other game of this type. :)

Agreed, and that alternative would be totally optional of course. :) It won't be on my radar for a while though.
I think Morrowind also has stab, chop, slash options, but everyone just uses the automatic "use best attack..."

*Checks*

Move forward and left-click equals stab. Move sideways equals slash. Stay still equals chop.

I guess they were going for a dynamic combat mechanic involving movement and attacks, but it feels derpy to me. Still, I haven't tried it in actual play since probably first playing Morrowind, so it may work better in actual play.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Narf the Mouse wrote:Still, I haven't tried it in actual play since probably first playing Morrowind, so it may work better in actual play.
No, it was incredibly unwieldy. You could circle-strafe if you wanted to use side chops all the time, but if you used a spear you needed to stab forward, so you had to walk into or away from the enemy all the time, and you could easily overstep and be out of range. I almost never used the "Optimal Attack" setting, so with most weapons I just used a neutral chop and accepted whatever damage it was. Daggerfall really has the best combat system in my eyes, with Skyrim in second. Oblivion had some good ideas and some bad ones, such as first-person particle effects and staggering (another example).

Now, with the advanced pathfinding I've seen in the DFU test build, I'm really thinking the game's going to be a lot harder. It seems like everything can catch up with me and find me anywhere; no sticking on corners anymore. Maybe it'll be a challenge! :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:Now, with the advanced pathfinding I've seen in the DFU test build, I'm really thinking the game's going to be a lot harder. It seems like everything can catch up with me and find me anywhere; no sticking on corners anymore. Maybe it'll be a challenge! :)
Heh. We may need a vanilla pathfinding mod to re-introduce the original "Are we there yet? No? Better walk forward some more!" pathfinding.