terrain

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Cristalnoir

terrain

Post by Cristalnoir »

is it possible to convert the land in Daggerfall heightmap and treat in unity to make it mesh terrain?
This will allow a field push more quality, erosion, the heights of the mountains, the rivers and the environment in the water that does not exist in the original game.
Cristalnoir studio

Interkarma

Re: terrain

Post by Interkarma »

Currently this is limited to Unity Terrain, although it is possible to influence the heightmap generation be implementing a new TerrainSampler interface.

However, there's absolutely nothing stopping a coder from building a mod that injects a different type of tiling terrain instead of the standard Unity Terrain. You could use a mesh terrain, voxel terrain, whatever works. You're only limited by what Unity can do - which is basically anything. :)

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Interkarma wrote:Currently this is limited to Unity Terrain, although it is possible to influence the heightmap generation be implementing a new TerrainSampler interface.

However, there's absolutely nothing stopping a coder from building a mod that injects a different type of tiling terrain instead of the standard Unity Terrain. You could use a mesh terrain, voxel terrain, whatever works. You're only limited by what Unity can do - which is basically anything. :)
I am definitely seeing the truth of "basically anything", particularly with Christalnoir's projects. Interkarma, I was curious and I wanted to ask; there are a large number of game engine solutions out there. Historically speaking, what were your parameters for choosing a game engine? What was the historical process for you arriving at the choice of Unity as a game engine; the mental process you went through as well as the events that brought you to the decision?

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

About lanscape. Nystul said, that he can't do generated landscape very realistic, so I think maybe if do DF heightmap like basis and made something like dungeons and cities in Daggerfall was made? Do handmade "cells" and do generator who built world from this cells

Like this it will be easy to create detailed landscape, and with this will be easy create mods like roads, rivers, uniqle flora and fauna for regions etc.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Xaphir wrote: I am definitely seeing the truth of "basically anything", particularly with Christalnoir's projects. Interkarma, I was curious and I wanted to ask; there are a large number of game engine solutions out there. Historically speaking, what were your parameters for choosing a game engine? What was the historical process for you arriving at the choice of Unity as a game engine; the mental process you went through as well as the events that brought you to the decision?
Unity is an amazing tool, which is why it has such a huge developer uptake (over 5 million and growing) and used for some very popular titles from major companies. For example, Blizzard's Hearthstone, Bethesda's Fallout Shelter, and Niantic's Pokemon Go were all made with Unity. Compare those games with, say, underwater survive-em-up Subnautica and you get a real sense for how flexible this engine can be.

It's also a great fit for how Daggerfall builds environments. A lot of engines will bake level geometry into a BSP or similar. Daggerfall, just like all the core Elder Scrolls titles, is snapping together premade tiles at runtime. The way Unity handles scenes is actually very compatible with Daggerfall right out of the box.

The other big reason was C#. Incredible language, very powerful, easy to learn. I had around 5 years of development into a Daggerfall C# library (created for Daggerfall Imaging 2, Daggerfall Modelling) that plugged right into Unity with only minor tweaking. C# is also very mod friendly as it can be treated as a runtime scripting language (see Lypyl's mod system) in addition to being compiled through CIL down to native code for the executable (normal Unity build process).

I wouldn't say Unity is perfect (I don't think any engine is), but it ticks all the right boxes in addition to having a full-featured personal version. I'd make the same engine choice again today without a second thought.

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

in Daggerfall unity we can load 3D models, listed dungeons, houses and temple. Can I import an outdoor area?
Cristalnoir studio

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Cristalnoir wrote:in Daggerfall unity we can load 3D models, listed dungeons, houses and temple. Can I import an outdoor area?
I am not sure, but Interkarma or one of the experienced mod contributors would probably know for certain.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cristalnoir wrote:in Daggerfall unity we can load 3D models, listed dungeons, houses and temple. Can I import an outdoor area?
You can import standalone models, exteriors, and dungeons into the Unity3D editor using Daggerfall Tools for Unity. Interiors are procedural-only.

If you want to inject new live content into Daggerfall Unity (the game), this is something you'll need to use the new mod system for. Daggerfall's entire world is build procedurally, not from inside the editor, so the first step will be to develop a mod which can inject new materials and models at runtime. Then build assets for that mod to use.

I strongly recommend starting small and working upwards. Post a request in the Mods & Features General forum to see if you can find a programmer to help with the scripting needed for this mod. Lypyl has created an into to the mod system in this thread.