Unpolished (not a bug)

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Blowingsand

Unpolished (not a bug)

Post by Blowingsand »

I'm starting my first play-thru with a bit of completionist style.

I've been info-ing all the colored-coded buildings on my first tour of Daggerfall, and one building only marks itself as an asterisk on the map.

Is someone collecting these "unpolished" bits of information now?
Or should I just start making my own list of these things and submit it later?

Interkarma

Re: Unpolished (not a bug)

Post by Interkarma »

Rather than allow map nameplates to overlap messily, nameplates in crowded situations will collapse back to an asterisk. You can still expand this nameplate using tooltips by hovering mouse over it.

Zooming and rotating the map around will show/hide/align nameplates dynamically, including collapsing them back to asterisks when needed. Nystul had to put a fair amount of science into this process to handle nameplates at any alignment without overlaps.

What you interpret as lack of polish is in fact a highly polished refinement to the map system. :)

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:15 am What you interpret as lack of polish is in fact a highly polished refinement to the map system. :)
Hats off to highly polished refinement!

RLTYProds

Post by RLTYProds »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:15 am Rather than allow map nameplates to overlap messily, nameplates in crowded situations will collapse back to an asterisk. You can still expand this nameplate using tooltips by hovering mouse over it.

Zooming and rotating the map around will show/hide/align nameplates dynamically, including collapsing them back to asterisks when needed. Nystul had to put a fair amount of science into this process to handle nameplates at any alignment without overlaps.
Seriously, it's one of my fave features to see here. I was worried that my map would clutter with names, with all the shops and guilds huddled in one corner of the town I'm in. But nope, turns out the problem was already thought of and solved in a well-executed manner. Kudos! Triple-A developers need to take lessons from passionate teams and people like you.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

RLTYProds wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:19 am
Interkarma wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:15 am Rather than allow map nameplates to overlap messily, nameplates in crowded situations will collapse back to an asterisk. You can still expand this nameplate using tooltips by hovering mouse over it.

Seriously, it's one of my fave features to see here. I was worried that my map would clutter with names, with all the shops and guilds huddled in one corner of the town I'm in. But nope, turns out the problem was already thought of and solved in a well-executed manner. Kudos! Triple-A developers need to take lessons from passionate teams and people like you.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

RLTYProds

Post by RLTYProds »

Ommamar wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm
RLTYProds wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:19 am

To be fair teams like this that develop released games that have been out for years with a ton of play and discussion have the advantage to one take their time and two follow the would this work better threads of discussion. Development of a triple A game is very high tempo, a lot of time if the developers get something working to a usable point they move on. They might have time to come back and polish but usually that happens with a patch system or in the case of online games continuous updates.
Fair enough, and I agree. Thank you for sharing your point of view. :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ommamar wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm To be fair teams like this that develop released games that have been out for years with a ton of play and discussion have the advantage to one take their time and two follow the would this work better threads of discussion.
True that, but on the other hand: you have to try to decipher why and how someone you don't know did something during a coffein-fueled crunch-time 20 years ago :D

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:05 am
Ommamar wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm To be fair teams like this that develop released games that have been out for years with a ton of play and discussion have the advantage to one take their time and two follow the would this work better threads of discussion.
True that, but on the other hand: you have to try to decipher why and how someone you don't know did something during a coffein-fueled crunch-time 20 years ago :D