Testing Full Project On Git

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Testing Full Project On Git

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:Nothing to do right now mate. *** For dedicated testers, I'm switching to a continuous build setup using Unity Cloud Build. This means you guys will have access to new "unstable builds" every few days or so. No more waiting months, you can test new code shortly after it gets checked in.
No problem, I'll look forward to it. I love the sound of it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote:Edit: It built, but running it just opened to what looked like the default Unity horizon, which is then replaced by a black oval over a blue background. The oval appears stretched to fit the screen. I checked the build settings, then included the *Startup and *Game scenes in the Scenes folder (in that order). I built it again, created a random Redguard Warrior named "Bo " (I was trying for "Bob") and Privateer's Hold is playable. The intro movies appear to work, the tutorial option didn't show, and neither did the background questions (in no particular order). Monsters are there, but the sprites are not transparent, and show up with a black background. Loot piles don't (always?) disappear when looted. The elevator works. The skeleton dies fairly easily when whacked with a silver staff (I don't know if this is intentional). Starting equipment was [1]the ebony dagger, a steel longsword, an iron katana, and a silver staff (in that order). In addition, I'm not sure I've ever seen that sword picture before, nevermind for the katana. The katana I've seen before looks like someone mixed a katana with a machette. Also, its picture is side-on, and angled. This one is edge-on and horizontal.

Exiting Privateer's Hold, or loading an outside save, drops me into a Daggerfall skyscape with no ground. As does loading an inside save (just checked). The load dialogue is still the old one, and refers to my current Daggerfall character (also, on a personal note, I'm glad I've got my entire Daggerfall folder under version control. No offense. :) ).

I did clean the entire folder, but did not clean the project. I'll try a blank project.

That's all I can remember right now. Oh yeah. Monsters have no loot; this includes humanoid enemies and the skeleton at the top of the stairs.

Quick question: Is there climbing yet?
Hey mate. Most of the things in your feedback (which I do appreciate, btw) are simply not implemented yet. Tutorial is part of the quest system, you won't see that for some time. Monster loot is still in progress, as are random loot piles and load UI. Some items like character biographies are unimplemented because they are dependent on systems further down the pipe. When providing feedback, it's important to separate what has and has not been implemented, and understand some things in the middle of implementation will be incomplete or broken. That's just par the course when playing with live code between more stable milestones.

My advice for you is not to work from git just yet. Rather, start from the latest 0.2 test build and get on board with the 0.3 test builds when available in a few weeks. Get familiar with the project first, where things are at, what's being worked on, then dive into the full project on git.

I will soon open up new forum areas for developer support, including modders and potential contributors. Please hold off until then and repost the other problems (e.g. black around sprites) if they are still present after cloning a fresh copy of the project. Cheers. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:I will soon open up new forum areas for developer support, including modders and potential contributors. Please hold off until then and repost the other problems (e.g. black around sprites) if they are still present after cloning a fresh copy of the project. Cheers. :)
That was with a fresh copy of the project.

Sorry, this is basically my first time doing actual Q&A. I guess I got carried away. :/
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote:
Interkarma wrote:I will soon open up new forum areas for developer support, including modders and potential contributors. Please hold off until then and repost the other problems (e.g. black around sprites) if they are still present after cloning a fresh copy of the project. Cheers. :)
That was with a fresh copy of the project.

Sorry, this is basically my first time doing actual Q&A. I guess I got carried away. :/

All good mate, I genuinely appreciate the feedback. There are some things we need to investigate in there like project settings not coming down and black around sprites. Hold on to those issues for the new developer support forums, and keep an eye on git. A few of the things you raised (e.g. load window, loot piles) will be done for 0.3 release. Some others (e.g. wrong weapon icon) can be investigated and resolved one-by-one.

And for the Daggerfall folder, you don't need to worry about any corruption there from Daggerfall Unity. The game files are treated as a read-only data source and are not altered in any way. This has been the case for all the tools I've written going back to Daggerfall Explorer in 2001. If you are still worried, just grab the game files download on the project page and use that instead of your live Daggerfall install. :)

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

@Interkarma
Have you considered creating a public bugtracker? As the project grows in size and complexity and there a more people following and testing, it might help to keep track of everything, as well as a good way for testers to know whether a specific bug has already been reported or not.

reporting_a_bug

Post by reporting_a_bug »

I noticed this earlier but forgot to report it. The map doesn't appear to show the exit properly anymore, the blue indicator just follows the player around. And I'm not sure if any of this is intended, but it also looks like the map isn't saving progress as the dungeon is explored.
Spoiler!
These two mobs both made exclusively spider noises. This happened after I reloaded a save into a dungeon, and in the areas I'd already cleared it looks like more mobs spawned in their places, but kept the old sounds? Just a guess.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

reporting_a_bug wrote:I noticed this earlier but forgot to report it. The map doesn't appear to show the exit properly anymore, the blue indicator just follows the player around. And I'm not sure if any of this is intended, but it also looks like the map isn't saving progress as the dungeon is explored.
I'll leave this one to Nystul, he's the creator of the automap. I don't believe serialization has been implemented yet for the automap, something I can help with when Nystul is ready.
reporting_a_bug wrote: These two mobs both made exclusively spider noises. This happened after I reloaded a save into a dungeon, and in the areas I'd already cleared it looks like more mobs spawned in their places, but kept the old sounds? Just a guess.
Hmm... you wouldn't still have a copy of that save game would you?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

The map is working as intended as far as it is implemented. As interkarma mentioned save game serialization is not implemented yet. The blue marker is the rotation center axis.
Hopefully I will have some time to work on the serialization soon

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:All good mate, I genuinely appreciate the feedback. There are some things we need to investigate in there like project settings not coming down and black around sprites. Hold on to those issues for the new developer support forums, and keep an eye on git. A few of the things you raised (e.g. load window, loot piles) will be done for 0.3 release. Some others (e.g. wrong weapon icon) can be investigated and resolved one-by-one.

And for the Daggerfall folder, you don't need to worry about any corruption there from Daggerfall Unity. The game files are treated as a read-only data source and are not altered in any way. This has been the case for all the tools I've written going back to Daggerfall Explorer in 2001. If you are still worried, just grab the game files download on the project page and use that instead of your live Daggerfall install. :)
No problem.

No reflection on your coding; after a couple of decades of *working with computers, I view all data storage as fallible; doubly so when it involves beta-ish software like Unity minor point releases. :)

Anyway, I would have posted sooner, but that green stuff outside that keeps the oxygen going decided to remind me that it also produces pollen.

* Well, ok, a sizable portion of that involved playing games on computers and figuring out what they are useful for.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

reporting_a_bug

Post by reporting_a_bug »

Hmm... you wouldn't still have a copy of that save game would you?
I saved over it, but I managed to replicate the bug. It happens when you have killed mobs, then save, die, exit the game, and then reload the save.

Here are two save file, one is before reloading, the other is after I reloaded and killed the bugged mobs.

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/2825f ... dc813dbb2c

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/0b60d ... 587c95b72a
The map is working as intended as far as it is implemented. As interkarma mentioned save game serialization is not implemented yet. The blue marker is the rotation center axis.
Hopefully I will have some time to work on the serialization soon
ok dude my bad, could've sworn it had more to it in the earlier version :oops: