Testing Full Project On Git

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
reporting_a_bug

Re: Testing Full Project On Git

Post by reporting_a_bug »

built this in Unity 3.3.5f1 on slackware linux, it works and looks good but i can't save. Not sure if this is intended functionality for a test-only repo, or if you're currently messing with something related to saved games. And still experiencing the bug I mentioned in the other thread, where the weapon will not swing in certain areas. Though I'm now inclined to believe that it does this regardless of "where", it's just random, maybe.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for testing. I am indeed reworking save system in latest code and save/load is broken right now. This will be completed in time for 0.3 release.

The test project is mainly to see how easily other developers can clone and open project, and so far the feedback on that has been good. This paves the way for automated cloud builds and more regular unstable builds for testers to play with.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

*"99 instances of bugs in the code,
99 instances of bugs;
take one down,
test it around,
137 instances of bugs in the code..."

* Original (however it went) was probably from somewhere back in UseNet. Or older.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

All systems nominal :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This seems to be working reasonably well based on feedback. I've switched main repo over to full project now.

Test repo will be deleted shortly.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Currently getting a "module cannot be loaded" error with the latest. Dunno if that's helpful, but figured I'd post it just in case it's something that works on your comp, but not on mine.

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The class System.CodeDom.Compiler.IndentedTextWriter could not be loaded, used in System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for posting. Not sure on this one. I'm currently building OK for Windows and Linux from both local PC and cloud. On local, I'm using 5.3.5f1. Cloud build is set to use 5.3.5p8. Both sets of builds are running on my test devices.

If you haven't already, it would be worth zapping your local folder and checking out again from current master to a clean new folder.

Might also need to set API compatibility level to .NET 2.0, rather than .NET 2.0 subset (from PlayerSettings > Other Settings > Optimization). The new integrated C# compiler needs full 2.0 not subset. This should come down with project settings from git though.

There are some others dicussing this Unity error in the below thread, which still seems to be partially active.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ideas- ... ed.230389/

Let me know if that helps!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Is this the kind of thing a non-programmer can put together in 15 minutes with a short tutorial, or should I wait for the stable releases on the workshop website? I'd be happy to help more, but some guides take more time to write than the benefit gained.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:Is this the kind of thing a non-programmer can put together in 15 minutes with a short tutorial, or should I wait for the stable releases on the workshop website? I'd be happy to help more, but some guides take more time to write than the benefit gained.
Nothing to do right now mate. When 0.3 comes out, I'll be providing "stable builds" (stable as possible anyway) for those who just want to have a quick look around. This build will be fully standalone and only updated every so often.

For dedicated testers, I'm switching to a continuous build setup using Unity Cloud Build. This means you guys will have access to new "unstable builds" every few days or so. No more waiting months, you can test new code shortly after it gets checked in.

Of course, these builds might be broken in other ways during the development process. I sometimes have to turn off functional things while adding to them. For example, the quicksaves were broken recently while I overhauled the save folder setup. I'll try to make sure this information is included in commits. In any case, the git comments should give testers an idea what's being worked on.

For developers/modders, the git repository will be the main source of updates. These folks will be checking out changes directly to their own install of Unity and will have immediate access to code updates. They can either develop for latest code or clone a specific level to develop mods for stable builds.

I'll detail more on all this once 0.3 is available, and update the web site to direct everyone to the right place.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Thanks for posting.

Might also need to set API compatibility level to .NET 2.0, rather than .NET 2.0 subset (from PlayerSettings > Other Settings > Optimization). The new integrated C# compiler needs full 2.0 not subset. This should come down with project settings from git though.

Let me know if that helps!
Turned out to be that one. Thanks, it compiled now.
Jay_H wrote:Is this the kind of thing a non-programmer can put together in 15 minutes with a short tutorial, or should I wait for the stable releases on the workshop website? I'd be happy to help more, but some guides take more time to write than the benefit gained.
Being a programmer is something I can recommend, but it also takes a certain mindset to enjoy it. And I wouldn't recommend starting with this as your intro. You'd either run into a bunch of code errors which lead into at least a dozen webpages with pages of reading to do (and probably be frustrated), or it would build and, well, yaay but kinda probably a let-down to have clicking a few buttons be your intro. Especially since "It worked right the first time!" almost never happens. ;)

If you're interested in learning programming, look up some "very basic tutorials" on the net. The traditional start is a "Hello World" tutorial; it gets something up on the screen and introduces the language for you.

Anyway, more than this is way outside the scope of the thread; I could post more elsewhere if anyone's interested.

Edit: It built, but running it just opened to what looked like the default Unity horizon, which is then replaced by a black oval over a blue background. The oval appears stretched to fit the screen. I checked the build settings, then included the *Startup and *Game scenes in the Scenes folder (in that order). I built it again, created a random Redguard Warrior named "Bo " (I was trying for "Bob") and Privateer's Hold is playable. The intro movies appear to work, the tutorial option didn't show, and neither did the background questions (in no particular order). Monsters are there, but the sprites are not transparent, and show up with a black background. Loot piles don't (always?) disappear when looted. The elevator works. The skeleton dies fairly easily when whacked with a silver staff (I don't know if this is intentional). Starting equipment was [1]the ebony dagger, a steel longsword, an iron katana, and a silver staff (in that order). In addition, I'm not sure I've ever seen that sword picture before, nevermind for the katana. The katana I've seen before looks like someone mixed a katana with a machette. Also, its picture is side-on, and angled. This one is edge-on and horizontal.

Exiting Privateer's Hold, or loading an outside save, drops me into a Daggerfall skyscape with no ground. As does loading an inside save (just checked). The load dialogue is still the old one, and refers to my current Daggerfall character (also, on a personal note, I'm glad I've got my entire Daggerfall folder under version control. No offense. :) ).

I did clean the entire folder, but did not clean the project. I'll try a blank project.

That's all I can remember right now. Oh yeah. Monsters have no loot; this includes humanoid enemies and the skeleton at the top of the stairs.

Quick question: Is there climbing yet?

[1] I'm pretty sure there's few characers that don't pick this, and most of those are probably "gritty" runs.