Disguises

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Kyra Succubus

Disguises

Post by Kyra Succubus »

Are there any plans to implement the "Disguise" skill into Unity? I'm guessing it would require a lot of effort, but it sounds exquisitely interesting to me. I'd choose it as a major skill without a second thought. The other two skills below would be nice as well, and seem like they'd maybe be easier to add. Just wishful thinking. :)

The following skills are found inside the game files, however they have been removed prior to the release of the game.

Disguise (Personality) "Disguise is a skill automatically checked whenever one attempts either to infiltrate a hostile environment or to secrete items away from prying eyes."

Elvish (Intelligence) "Elvish is a language skill checked whenever one attempts to speak with a Wild Elf."

Faerie (Intelligence) "Faerie is a language skill checked whenever one attempts to speak with a Faerie."

Ommamar

Re: Disguises

Post by Ommamar »

I have not seen a wild elf or a faerie so not sure how useful those would be.

I could see a disguise being used in the same way as it is in The Outer Worlds with an effect bar being shown when you activate it or enter a certain area. Since DFU is first person no graphics other then the indicator bar would be needed, the challenge I think would be adding in the reactions to the NPC's from different factions involved. This could probably be best used with a simple yes/no flag to dictate whether the target accepts the disguise or not. It would definitely add in another dynamic to game play.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It's just hard though, to make it fit in without Daggerfall while at the same time make it do something that Stealth isn't already doing. Which I'm betting is why it was never implemented.
I'd think you would need some kind of costumes to make it work?

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Disguise (Personality) "Disguise is a skill automatically checked whenever one attempts either to infiltrate a hostile environment or to secrete items away from prying eyes."

Just replace Disguise with Stealth in the above sentence and see how much more sense that makes.

Since there are no wild elves or Faeries, those languages haven't been integrated either.

Actual disguises could be fun but would be completly ignored during vanilla quests because they weren't made for that. One use I could think of is marching into a Orc stronghold to rescue those damn kids. "Graaah, I was ordered by Gortwog to bring him the kid, he's hungry" or to go full Agent 47 during a Dark Bro-hood assassination. The Agent 47 thing might already be possible with the current quest engine, I haven't gotten around to playing with it but it's quite powerful if I look at some of the quests people are making.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

High Streetwise or Etiquette will make most human NPC baddies ignore you. A spell with (Invisibility+Chameleon+Shadow)True will get you past most enemies unseen, but not Undead or Daedra. Individual language skills work on specific types. So a Disguise skill has largely been usurped by these.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Gray Fox wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 pm High Streetwise or Etiquette will make most human NPC baddies ignore you. A spell with (Invisibility+Chameleon+Shadow)True will get you past most enemies unseen, but not Undead or Daedra. Individual language skills work on specific types. So a Disguise skill has largely been usurped by these.
What you say is true but wouldn't it be cool if you could play as a bardic character who due to a birth defect is not able to cast magic but through their skills as an actor can fool people into being almost invisible using the etiquette/streetwise skills? In a way you can but an active player controlled method would be a good addition to the game.
If this was to be implemented I would see it as an alternative role playing path adding to what was already there which I think is a better way to think then to say you can already simulate something like this with the current systems in place.

Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

"A rose by any other name..."

;)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Gray Fox wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:11 am "A rose by any other name..."

;)
Why you calling a rose by another name? That's Flowerist!

<laugh> what do I know I just learned there is such a thing as Vegan Leather....