A Definitive Answer About Rate of Skill Increases?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Kyra Succubus

A Definitive Answer About Rate of Skill Increases?

Post by Kyra Succubus »

I've spent hours on Google, the Daggerfall wiki and such, and am still left with this question: Does a governing attribute determine how fast a skill goes up, or does it have nothing to do with it? I'm getting conflicted stories.

In my case, the most important factor here is for the skill of lockpicking. Its governing attribute is intelligence. As an attribute in itself, I really don't care about it and would actually sap a mass amount of points from it at my character's creation. BUT, I'll refrain from this if having a good amount of intelligence is key for getting my lockpicking skill up in a timely fashion.

I know I can use trainers but I'd rather not, as it can feel kind of cheap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Hazelnut

Re: A Definitive Answer About Rate of Skill Increases?

Post by Hazelnut »

Kyra Succubus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am I know I can use trainers but I'd rather not, as it can feel kind of cheap.
It can cost quite a lot as you go up levels. Not what I would call cheap.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Kyra Succubus

Post by Kyra Succubus »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:23 am
Kyra Succubus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am I know I can use trainers but I'd rather not, as it can feel kind of cheap.
I meant "cheap" as in a sort of cheating-ish way to level up skills, rather than doing it yourself. :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Kyra Succubus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 am
I meant "cheap" as in a sort of cheating-ish way to level up skills, rather than doing it yourself. :)
I'm sure no professional athletes use trainers ;)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I noticed this a while back myself, and would be interested to have this confirmed as well so I can edit the classic DF UESP page (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Attributes) as needed, assuming DFU works the same as classic here. Currently the page only has the unsupported statement "Each attribute directly affects, or governs, specific skills, although it doesn't have any in-game effect." DFU's main original code reverse-engineer R.D./Allofich has apparently dropped out of the project, but there are some other folks (Ferital and some newer contributors) who may know.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

That is a very poorly written statement if it governs or directly effects a skill how could it not have any in game effect.

My understanding which may be incorrect is that the governing skill effects how quickly a skill will raise but has no effect on the likely hood of success or failure when using the skill. This is controlled directly by the current level of the skill versus the objective you are trying to achieve. In your case picking a lock, I remember a fairly recent discussion where someone posted the code showing the formula for lock picking success. I recall that only the skill level was factored into the equation but since a high intelligence would allow you to raise the lock picking skill quicker indirectly it would affect the outcome. Which is what I think the statement mikeprichard quote is trying to say.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I completely agree it's a poorly worded/vague statement, and think it needs updating regardless. What I *think* it's trying to say is "governing attributes" are that in name only, and have no impact on skill progression or other gameplay factors in any way. But regardless, as with any wiki changes, I hope to hear from someone "in the know" about what's really going on to confirm.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:41 pm
Kyra Succubus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 am

I'm sure no professional athletes use trainers ;)
Sounds like we need a Tedious Training mod :lol:
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt