From a long time fan of these games... I got a small gripe with this.

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: From a long time fan of these games... I got a small gripe with this.

Post by Interkarma »

Both changes have been implemented now. From 0.10.14, you will be able to initiate rest under more circumstances as the distance test has been roughly halved. And you will be able to find continuous rest more often, provided that you have cleared the general area of monsters or manage to avoid them.

This results in a cadence much closer to that players are reporting from classic. Provided you clear the general area, and don't attempt to sleep near active monsters, your rest will not be interrupted by random spawns.

Please note this doesn't apply to quest-based enemies. These will continue to spawn based on the quest scripting. It also does not apply to exterior random spawns, these use a flat chance over time.

Thanks again to Pango for providing a testable observation essential to determining what was wrong :)

pango

Post by pango »

Jeoshua wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:08 am So, the reason slopes were safe zones in Classic is that no monster was anywhere nearby within 12m nor could any monster become aware of the player due to their distance from legal spawn areas, basically being "between floors" ? I think that's what's going on here?
If you left "no witnesses alive" and never tried to rest too close to remaining enemies in the dungeon, then you should be able to sleep uninterrupted. The fact that ramps are a bit away from the main body of the dungeon (I assume you're talking of ramps that are in border modules) certainly helps with the latter condition.

That's assuming that no enemies spawned in nearby disconnected corridors in the same border module, but in practice it seems to be the case...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Glad to hear this is being fixed :) It never really bothered me as much as some other players seemed to be bothered by it, but I did notice that being allowed to sleep was an ongoing battle at times :D

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Well i personally was a little bothered by constant interruptions, but i thought it was probably the same in Classic. Glad to see this fixed.

pango

Post by pango »

It changed my way to play... I'm much more careful about finding the right time and place to rest.
Flying in front of a too powerful enemy is more dramatic, because now I know I won't be able to rest safely...

While it made the game feel easier when you know what you're doing, it's more tactical.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Consequence of Grace

Post by Consequence of Grace »

I'm glad the detection radius and interruption rates are going to be fixed.

But how did my level 2 character, on her first quest for the Knights of the Dragon, get a dungeon that had only ONE room she could enter after the entrance, and it had 3 giants and 5 Orc sergeants in it? :shock:

And she had to go down on a descending platform, straight into their lair!

And the quest goal was to save Lady What'sherface from the Vampire!

Level 2. :roll:

Vampire Boss! LOL!

:lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I had my share of Vampire Ancients and Ancient Liches at level 3 in classic ;)

Consequence of Grace

Yes, gotta love Bethesda and TES, despite the bugs! In fact, I think that's what makes them so endearing. That and the modding community.

So I figured, well, it's an alpha build of an entire game made from scratch. So I'll use tgm to rescue the Princess.

Then I went to the Fighter's guild and got 6 quests in a row to "Kill the Animal", and got my rep to 30 in about 40 minutes!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

yeah, the console commands are intended for testing stuff really so you can rocket through the game with them. If you want to remove temptation you can disable the console in the settings.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Consequence of Grace

Oh, No Indeed! I'll leave the console intact!

I'll use TGM when the game gives me a quest for a level 30 when I am level 2. Or to get out of the void etc.

But the Fighter's Guild quests were actually low level quests, Kill the Animal that invaded a house in my base town of Burgcester, which were Harpies, Tigers and Giant Spiders. I got to rep 30 in 40 minutes because I didn't even have to travel anywhere, I had 1 day to kill the animal and teleport back to the Fighter's Guild.

Shame the Knights of the Dragon quests are so flipping deadly - obviously meant for when I am much more powerful! So I'll do some for Arkay and Mage's Guild next...

The console would be more useful for cheat codes if we could specify a single item, rather than ALL weapons and ALL armour. I did that on one character and sold the excess and ended up with >5 million gp!

:)