Finding witches covens

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jammer

Finding witches covens

Post by Jammer »

Is there a way to find out about witches covens or locations in game?

I was hoping the mages guild teleporter would let you teleport to any sector on the map, but it still only allows you to teleport to a known location.

Then I tried to use tedious travel in combination with levitate to search from the air, but the slow travel speed when levitating means you get interrupted more often and then have to slowfall down to the ground before it will let you travel again.

Ommamar

Re: Finding witches covens

Post by Ommamar »

This is probably your best bet: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Witch_Covens even with that information they can be hard to find. Good luck!

pango

Post by pango »

Using purely in-game mechanics, there's one knight order quest that involves witches but I don't think you ever get close to a coven doing it.
Donald Tipton modified one of the main quests ("the lycanthrope") to add a different ending that does not require killing the lycanthrope and involves a coven, but it's currently not fully implemented in Daggerfall Unity because of some compatibility issue :cry:
Oh, and in classic I once found a map to a coven. I was in a small region, so they weren't that many dungeons so I randomly found such map. I don't know if that would work in Daggefall Unity, or if it gives out only maps to dungeons proper...

But yeah, they're hard to find by normal means. They're basically easter eggs :lol:
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

pango wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:24 am Oh, and in classic I once found a map to a coven. I was in a small region, so they weren't that many dungeons so I randomly found such map. I don't know if that would work in Daggefall Unity, or if it gives out only maps to dungeons proper...
Some dungeons are called "The <blahblah> Coven", but those aren't the same thing as witches covens, right? At least when I have visted them I didn't find any NPCs inside. I thought actual "witches covens" were more like the shrines that come marked on the map, maybe a small outdoor area with a structure and some NPCs.

I am avoiding looking at spoilers on UESP, so for now I am doing more mages guild quests in Antiphyllos to get dungeon locations, and maybe spot the Dust Coven in the process by travelling with levitation to get a view. The Daggerfall wiki says there are 49 locations in Antiphyllos and 8 dungeons. I can initially see 40 towns/temples/homes and no dungeons. If there are 8 dungeons then that tells me there is exactly one Coven location that isn't a dungeon.

pango

Post by pango »

Jammer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:59 am Some dungeons are called "The <blahblah> Coven", but those aren't the same thing as witches covens, right? At least when I have visted them I didn't find any NPCs inside. I thought actual "witches covens" were more like the shrines that come marked on the map, maybe a small outdoor area with a structure and some NPCs.
Correct

Talking of this, the UESP mentions the "in-house warlocks" and call it a bug, which in retrospect is probably right... I don't know if they're any plan to patch that in Daggerfall Unity?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

Pango already mentioned it, but just like you can find maps of dungeon locations for loot (and maybe some quests?), and you can also get maps for witch covens that way.

If you're looking for a small kingdom with a witch coven (so that you only have to collect a few maps until you find it), Antiphyllos is a good option, with only 8 dungeons.

If you want a town with an indoor coven then:
Spoiler!
Gothway Garden!

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

While playing DFU I randomly found a map in a dungeon in Daggerfall region, which pointed me to a Witch Coven in the same region. It was in an open field, IIRC there were no structures, just a witch transforming in a beautiful girl and a cauldron. I'd say, impossible to find just by searching for a witch coven in the open, considering how huge the world is. Your best chance is to just dungeon crawl, and hope for a map. Like others say, it would be easier in small regions, but as you can see from my experience, it's possible in any.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Firebrand wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 pm It was in an open field, IIRC there were no structures, just a witch transforming in a beautiful girl and a cauldron. I'd say, impossible to find just by searching for a witch coven in the open, considering how huge the world is.
Oh, yeah that would be near impossible to spot from the air. I was hoping there would be a rock structure like the shrines, which is hard but not impossible to spot. Sounds like I'll be looking for a map then. Might have to turn off persistent dungeons so I can cycle loot =)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Covens in the exterior world are quite varied. Some are a hollow mound and some a single altar with a single person stood next to it. The large mounds should be visible from the air, but as covens are few you'd probably need a long time to actually find one.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Got lucky, third map I found was it. I actually travelled within a couple clicks of the place, and this one has a structure.

I also got an appropriate daedra quest on my first try (my custom character class is a low willpower, low endurance class called "Glutton"):
Spoiler!
20191121174301_1.jpg
20191121174301_1.jpg (374 KiB) Viewed 1163 times