Dialogue

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Fire78

Dialogue

Post by Fire78 »

I have been liking this game so mutch i played this way more than i played morowind but i keep getting roadblocked when the town just gives me terrible directions and the refuse to talk to me i am very confused abiut this games dialogue system so is there a way to mod it or make a character with a insane amount of charisma

Leeux

Re: Dialogue

Post by Leeux »

Yeah, peasants are annoying :P Sometimes it helps talking to them in different modes (Normal, Polite, Blunt) some of them respond better in one of those modes and also each mode uses a different skill from your character so it might be that for one of those modes you have a skill that's higher and that would also help.

Nevertheless, it could also be a problem with your reputation in the area you are, as in the reputation inside your province... not your legal reputation, but your actual factions reputation... if you get really low, everyone including peasants will hate you and don't wanna talk to you at all.

If you can, making a magic item that increase reputation with commoners can help, as also one that increases your personality (though you can find one of these as random drop, if you're lucky, or you can find one in the "buy magic item" guy/lady in the mage's guild too.

Not totally sure how it works, though.. if increasing your charisma would be of help vs. raising you "talk to people" skills, vs. just improving your faction's reputation, and which one has the more weight in your troubles.

I can say you this, even when you have 100 rep in all factions in a zone (i.e. end game, mostly, after doing tons of quest in an area) you'll still find peasants that refuse to tell you stuff and bad talk you :P

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Some things to be aware of:

If you have 40 or lower Personality, people generally hate you.

If you have your weapon drawn, people hate you.

If you speak bluntly to nobles or polite to commoners, they hate you.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

You can also use spells to raise your personality which not only helps with using a normal tone in conversation it helps raise Thaumaturgy (sp?) if your into that kind of thing.
When you do a faction quest you have a chance to offend someone of another faction which a peasant can support, be neutral or hate that faction. So even though you might have high overall faction with many guilds and temples the system simulates the you can't please every one very well.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

I wish when you ask for regional directions they give you the closest result first and expand out from there.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Regnier wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:26 am I wish when you ask for regional directions they give you the closest result first and expand out from there.
Absolutely. If I was to improve one aspect of NPC conversations in DFU it would be this. It's silly either way, but if you're using travel mods etc it's completely useless to have people point you to town on the other side of the region for soemthing that's actually available two towns away.