MP cost for spells belonging to multiple schools?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: MP cost for spells belonging to multiple schools?

Post by Jay_H »

I edited it now to remove it.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:22 am I edited it now to remove it.
Thank you, could you check the rest of them(spell schools) and see if there are anymore spells at the wrong sections? Really starting to doubt the info at that place.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Going back to my earlier example, is Spell Resistance correctly listed on both the Alteration and Restoration pages? I don't have the time/energy/data now to compare and analyze all the pages' lists, but I happened to notice this. (Guess I had the same idea as Seferoth just above - sorry if it seems like we're putting all the work back on you, Jay, but I appreciate the reminders on how this generally works in any case.)

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Free Action is listed at both Alteration and Restoration. Dunno if this is correct. It does have 2 effects, cure paralyze/immune to paralyze.
Edit: Is the immune to paralyze an Alteration effect?

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I saw that one (Free Action) and assumed it was correctly listed in two schools for that reason - the cure part in Restoration, the immunity in Alteration. But Spell Resistance and Spell Shield seem to be only one effect (?) that's currently shown in two UESP schools.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:28 am I saw that one (Free Action) and assumed it was correctly listed in two schools for that reason - the cure part in Restoration, the immunity in Alteration. But Spell Resistance seems to be only one effect (?) that's currently shown in two UESP schools.
Spell Resistance and Spell Shield indeed are the same in Restoration and Alteration so i'm quite sure one of them is at wrong location...and i am not sure which one.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Seferoth wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:29 am Spell Resistance and Spell Shield indeed are the same in Restoration and Alteration so i'm quite sure one of them is at wrong location...and i am not sure which one.
If these are just one effect, my strong guess would be Alteration, where "resist"-type effects belong.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:32 am
Seferoth wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:29 am Spell Resistance and Spell Shield indeed are the same in Restoration and Alteration so i'm quite sure one of them is at wrong location...and i am not sure which one.
If these are just one effect, my strong guess would be Alteration, where "resist"-type effects belong.
If you say so. I am still in Oblivion's spell effects so resist effect automatically in my mind belongs to Restoration. :D

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Hand of Sleep is in both Destruction and Alteration lists.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

As I think everyone here now knows, the UESP is a mess when it comes to descriptions of magic schools, magic spells, and their component individual effects. As the banner at the top of the main relevant UESP page (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Magic_and_Spells) already notes, an overhaul will need to be done to this page and the six related magic school subpages as follows:

1) Create a new list naming every effect, and associate each with its unique magic school.

2) The text relating to every spell must be adjusted to a) list each component effect of the spell by its name and school as described in the new list from above, and b) associate each spell only with its appropriate magic school(s).

I'm a bit burned out from all the wiki-ing I've been doing for a while now, but if anyone would like to contribute to this effort, I'd welcome moving the discussion to the classic wiki topic at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2514; I'll check back there whenever I can. Cheers!