MP cost for spells belonging to multiple schools?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Seferoth

MP cost for spells belonging to multiple schools?

Post by Seferoth »

How are spell MP cost calculated for spells that belong to multiple schools? Let's take Force Bolt for an example, what i understand is that it belongs to Destruction and Alteration school, so how is the MP cost calculated, does both affect it or only the higher one? Other one is Vampiric Touch which belongs to Destruction and Restoration.

Jay_H

Re: MP cost for spells belonging to multiple schools?

Post by Jay_H »

Daggerfall spells are additive, so you just have to add the two spells it includes to get the sum spell cost. Force Bolt has effects in Destruction and Alteration, so as you improve those schools, the cost will come down for the two effects proportionately.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Once again thanks for the answer. :)
Edit: I suppose it's the same for Vampiric Touch as well? It only has 1 effect, but it belongs to 2 schools.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not aware that the Transfer spell effect belongs to two schools. I tested it previously, and it only belongs to Destruction.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:53 pm I'm not aware that the Transfer spell effect belongs to two schools. I tested it previously, and it only belongs to Destruction.
Oh, info at uesp is wrong then.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Restoration_Spells
Edit: Elderscrollsfandom also claims it Restoration/Destruction. https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Va ... aggerfall)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Effects only belong to a single school. Jay has confirmed this as well through manual testing. I'm not sure where that information on UESP originates from.

The Transfer Health effect (which is the payload of Vampiric Touch) is simply Destruction.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, must be something mikeprichard forgot to change when we decided that. I changed it myself now in UESP. Elderscrollsfandom is going to be its own problem ;)

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Well it makes more sense this way. Now destruction has its own "healing" spell as restoration really do not need anymore of them.
Edit: Thanks for answering my questions again. This actually was pretty important information as my "vampiric" knight had only restoration(as i thought Vampiric Touch was restoration/destruction spell) and not only destruction. Oh, well...live and learn.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:53 pm I'm not aware that the Transfer spell effect belongs to two schools. I tested it previously, and it only belongs to Destruction.
Soooo Jay - I'm just seeing this now and refreshing my memory on the issue, so to be sure I understand: is it in fact the case for classic Daggerfall (as well as DFU) that every spell effect in the game belongs only to one magic school? If so, there are a LOT more errors of this kind on the six UESP magic school pages where effects are showing on more than one school page. Also and if this is the case, is there a complete reliable list of all effects and which schools they actually belong to which I or someone else could use to correct the pages? Sorry if that's already been posted in one of these topics (including possibly your linked mechanics mega-thread), but I can't find it just yet.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Waterwalking belong to both Alteration and Thaumaturgy...i am 99.9% sure of it.
Edit: Well the Buoyancy does raise Thaumaturgy and Water Walking raise Alteration, yet both has Water Walking.
Last edited by Seferoth on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.